useless male cook here, please help

vida1, Feb 8, 2:18am
if a recipe calls for a teaspoon of crushed ginger but all you got was the powdered ginger, how much of the powdered product would equate to a teaspoon of the crushed ginger product , thanks in advance

helpless, Feb 8, 2:30am
Dunno really. . It's kinda weak that stuff in powder form. . Throw in 2 -3 level teaspoons, ,

cgvl, Feb 8, 2:33am
vida1, yes you can substitute powdered/ground ginger for the root/fresh variety. use about ¼-½tsp to start with.
You always use more fresh than dried.

harrislucinda, Feb 8, 2:34am
even thoughweak2tspcanstillbestrongtastingsodontoverdoasyou can alwaysaddmorebutcanttakeout

245sam, Feb 8, 2:36am
vida1, I've never used powdered ginger as a substitute for fresh root ginger because we like the taste and zing of the fresh ginger so I keep some in the freezer at all times; however I have an Alison Holst recipe thatstates "dry powdered ginger is a poor substitute, but better than no ginger". That recipe has 1-2 slices fresh root gingerOR½ tsp powdered ginger.

Hope that helps. :-))

indy95, Feb 8, 2:36am
Vida1, it depends what you are making. With all due respect to the previous poster throwing in 2 or 3 teaspoons might not be a good idea as although ground ginger has a different flavour to that of fresh ginger it is not by any means weaker. If your recipe calls for just 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger try adding half a teaspoon of the powder and check before adding any more.

vida1, Feb 8, 2:38am
I was going to do a chinese honey marenade for pork chops

helpless, Feb 8, 2:40am
Hmmm. . ok. . I can't even taste powdered ginger. . Too many curries, ,

cgvl, Feb 8, 2:42am
vida1 yes add the powdered ginger about ½tsp for the marinade, it will taste great too.

mwood, Feb 8, 2:44am
nope - won't work for that - the recipe expects a zing from the ginger - powdered ginger doesn't have it - try chili

245sam, Feb 8, 2:46am
I agree with cgvl - the recipe I mentioned in #5 is for chicken teriyaki and that recipes states ½ tsp powdered ginger as a substitute for 1-2 slices fresh root ginger which I expect would be about 1 tsp crushed ginger.
Hope you enjoy your pork chops, vida1. :-))

aphra1, Feb 8, 2:58am
and... for the future a little hint I learnt on here. You can freeze root ginger and just grate it from frozen as you need it. Very economical and saves wastage. Although it can take a bit of grating to get the amounts I like to use.

245sam, Feb 8, 3:05am
That's exactly what I do aphra1, and that's how I always have some "fresh" root ginger on hand to use - there's really nothing like the zing of the fresh ginger in marinades, stir-fries, etc. :-))

annie642, Feb 8, 4:29am
I think helpless was pulling your leg a bit vida1 lol

lythande1, Feb 8, 8:05am
Skip it, it's not essential if you haven't got any.
next time, freeze the fresh stuff in ice cube trays, so you have some on hand when the need arises.

samanya, Aug 1, 11:48am
I sometimes keep fresh ginger (peeled) in a small jar of wine, enough to cover, in the fridge . . keeps for ages