Ice cream makers

dave313, Jan 2, 9:17am
Mine does the freezing. I had one where you pop the bowl back into the freezer but I kept forgetting so I splashed out about 200 and bought a better one it came with a real good recipe book.Dont remember the name and I am at work so can not go and look.We use ours all the time it just sits on the bench

What make is it and where do you get it from.
Thanks Dave

mjhdeal, Jan 2, 7:20pm
I have made this Pomegranate icecream (no machine required) and it was delicious. http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/no-churn-pomegranate-ice-cream-30

ritahelen, Nov 12, 3:43am
Has anyone tried the Sunbeam ice cream maker, or any other brand. Are they any good.

uli, Nov 12, 3:47am
I make my ice cream in a normal ice cream container in the freezer. Saves money buying something and saves space in the kitchen housing the item.

mothergoose_nz, Nov 12, 7:26am
i have a really special one. it is a double skin bowl and lid. there is some special liquid in between the skins. you ,ake your mix. take the prefrozen bowl out of the freezer and put your mix in. leave on the bench 20 minutes and icecream is frozen solid with small crystals.lovely smooth ice cream

gardie, Nov 12, 4:34pm
I have a Krups machine.Makes nice creamy ice cream especially if you start with a custardy base.

badams1, Nov 12, 7:58pm
gardie, i have one i have never used, could you tell us, how to make a custardy base. reading above ,you freeze the inner, then plug in to make ice -cream. a cupboard full of useless gadgets.or maybe i can use this one .x

lawz_21, Nov 12, 8:55pm
I have the nice cheap one from Kmart, works amazingly well couldnt be happier

biggles45, Nov 12, 11:02pm
Sounds like mine. MIne is a sunbeam. Excellent. Has a hole in the lid to add things like choc chips or flavouring while it is churning.

biggles45, Nov 12, 11:11pm
My base custard mix is:
250 mls thickened cream and 250 mls milk, heat in saucepan until at a simmer stage (don't allow to boil). Beat 4 egg yolks with 0.5 cup of castor sugar, add the heated mix to egg yolks stirring all the time. Put back into saucepan and heat, stir constantly, till it coats the back of spoon (again don't allow it to boil. Chill in fridge for 3 or 4 hours before putting in ice cream maker. Put in maker, and run till ice cream reaches the top of the bowl, or mine turns itself off when it's done. Freeze.

If you want vanilla - add 1 pod and seeds to cream mix before heating it. Remove pod before putting into ice cream maker.

Other flavours we like are 1 tsp pepermint flavour + 1 cup choc chips or 1 tblsp dark rum with 1/3 cup raisins.

gilligee, Nov 12, 11:24pm
Same here.

wizardoo, Nov 13, 12:38am
Mine does the freezing. I had one where you pop the bowl back into the freezer but I kept forgetting so I splashed out about 200 and bought a better one it came with a real good recipe book.Dont remember the name and I am at work so can not go and look.We use ours all the time it just sits on the bench

kateley, Nov 13, 12:41am
Please, can you tell us how to make the ice-cream in a normal container!Do you have to take it out every so often and beat it!
Thanks

uli, Nov 13, 1:34am
No, I don't beat it - too much work :)

You need 4 eggs separated
50 to 100g of caster sugar
300ml (small bottle) of cream
any flavourings you want - easiest to start with is vanilla essence
and an empty 2l ice cream container.

You need 3 bowls.

I have only two so I start with beating the egg white in the first (smaller) bowl.
Then I beat the egg yolk and sugar and vanilla in the second bowl which is bigger until white.
Then I put the beaten egg white onto the yolk mix,
and whip the cream in the smaller bowl.
Then ad the cream on topof the egg whites into the big bowl and carefully mix it together by lifting with the whisk. It needs to be uniformly mixed but with the maximum amount of air left in the cream and egg white.

It might need a few attempts to get it perfect. Then all you have to do is put it into the container and freeze it.

Best ice cream ever. I used to say here that this is my own old family recipe but then people come in and say they do the same since centuries in NZ and their great grandparents did it already in the waka coming over . and it cannot be possibly my own - so I don't say that anymore LOL :)

It is the best homemade ice cream recipe I ever came across, try it out.

Once you get the hang of it you can do variations. I often do chocolate or hazelnut (roast them first) or coffee or cinnamon.

You can also add berry fruit or nuts ormashed banana. The texture will be denser though.

davidt4, Nov 13, 1:45am
Uli's ice cream is great.We like it with toasted walnuts and coffee.

Here are two more ways to make ice cream that don't require a machine nor any beating during the freezing process.One uses egg yolks, the other egg whites.

Semi-freddo with liqueur

Serves 12

8 egg yolks
1c sugar
1/2c water
3/8c liqueur or eau de vie
600ml cream

Beat yolks until thick.
Make syrup with sugar and water and cook to 220F.Slowly pour hot syrup into yolks and whisk until cold and falls in ribbons.

Whip cream and add liqueur.Fold into eggs, freeze without stirring.

Instead of syrup, try a mixture of maple syrup and rum.

Marshmallow Ice Cream

Serves 10

1c sugar
1/2c water
7 egg whites
300ml cream, whipped
3/8c liqueur or eau de vie

Make syrup with sugar and water and cook to 220F.

Whip egg whites and pour in hot syrup while beating.Beat until thick and cool.Fold in cream and liqueur.Freeze at least 12 hours.

biggles45, Nov 13, 2:43am
Sounds good. I started with the cheaper version as I wondered if it would be one of those appliances that get used for a couple of months, then end up taling up room in a cupboard and not being used! We still use it once a week, so one day I might splash out on one like yours.

Do you mix everything in it, or do you still have to make a custard first! How long does it take from start to finish!

bedazzledjewels, Nov 13, 3:00am
Uli - do you add the flavourings into the egg yolk mixture!

uli, Nov 13, 3:40am
see post 12:
any flavourings you want - easiest to start with is vanilla essence.
Once you get the hang of it you can do variations. I often do chocolate or hazelnut (roast them first) or coffee or cinnamon.
You can also add berry fruit or nuts or mashed banana. The texture will be denser though.

gilligee, Nov 13, 4:11am
Same here.
Usually make it with a base and topping for an ice-cream cake which is a family favourite and always requested when the family visit.

badams1, Nov 13, 4:19am
please tell us more ,about youre homemade ice cream cake with a base. And thankyou for the custardy recipe. A foodie.x

gilligee, Nov 13, 6:05am
Di's Ice-cream Cake.
Melt 6tablespoons b/sugar with
2 tablespoons butter then add 2 cups crushed cornflakes.
Place half in bottom of pie then pour ice-cream on top. When freezing has started pour rest of crumbs on top. (I usually do it all at once)
I use a flat plate and a spring ring side. Enjoy.
Take out of the freezer a few minutes before serving.

badams1, Nov 13, 6:49am
drooling, frrom both sides of my mouth,,,, Oh yeah, level headed and Irish lest partly .Thankyou gillgee x