Who sells baking?

Page 2 / 2
shyly, Nov 4, 12:12am
No its not crazy, people want to be assured that the food they are consuming is in clean and regulated conditions. The ones that sell at markets etc would have to go through the council and apply for a license/certification so they can sell their goods there.

elsielaurie1, Nov 4, 12:39am
So true.

uli, Nov 4, 12:51am
Yep - I do not think I missed anything in the 3 months (or however long it was I went away from here).

Did you notice however that Ellie wasn't online for a long time after I left! Surely this was just due to some "personal" holidays or some such .

angel361, Nov 4, 12:55am
you could try and sell the ribbon or the box or the cellophane that goes round the goods - maybe you can get round it this way.I saw this on tv once buy jars come with 'free jam' inside this was how they got rounbd it, dont know if it would work but just an idea

kay141, Nov 4, 12:56am
I think most have to be licensed by the council etc. There are quite a few at my local market selling bread or cakes. It must be a good business as they are there every week. Some of them are large bakeries. e.g Bordeaux Bakery.

Uli, It is your choice to come in here. If you don't like the sniping, then why post!

uli, Nov 4, 1:05am
I post because I still think that I can give people here an other view and an alternative option.

I have had lots of very interesting personal e-mails (via my ad on TM and before via the dark side). People have actually said that I saved their lives. This is why I am still posting despite "sniping".

And do you really think it is ok to "snipe"! Do you really think it is ok to take my personal life to bits just because I write some things that are contrary to your "beliefs"!

And we talk about "Beliefs" here - not knowledge nor scientific evidence!

Good day to you too!

mwood, Nov 4, 1:13am
yeah right ! - you sure do sound like a gullible guy LOL

kay141, Nov 4, 1:13am
As I said it is your choice. I think the "sniping"is done by a few and it is your choice whether to respond or not. As for your personal life, you post ed a lot of it on here so comments are to be expected. You have made many assumptions about others and I have objected to a good number of your comments. I can't decide whether you intend to be nasty or it is a language problem. I shall continue to give you the benefit of the doubt.
Once again, you say you have saved lives but diet advice opposed to medical advice is not always the right answer.

elliehen, Nov 4, 1:24am
Far out!Are you really interested in my absences and my holidays!Well, I was in New York for a little over a month last year and in Melbourne this year.Should I let you know when I plan to go away again!

I hope you manage to get away for a holiday now and then - maybe back to your birthplace in Germany!A change of environment is always refreshing and out in the wider world keeps a person from taking herself too seriously.

shyly, Nov 4, 1:29am
Yeah our council (and especially the market organizers) make sure you have the right paper work when you have baking. I know tga council have been enforcing it for at least the past 17 years.

duckmoon, Nov 4, 1:48am
i heard about some one who makes royal icing decorations - which might be used on a cake - but they are sold as "not fit for human consumption".

but what the purchasers does with it afterwards is there business.

cookiebarrel, Nov 4, 3:09am
shyly, you are right about the Tga council, but the Western BOP Council isn't yet quite as strict.Wonder how long before they change!There is a difference between the bigger markets like Farmers Markets and the small local markets and car boot sale type things.

kay141, Nov 4, 3:26am
Neither the Riverbank market in Lower Hutt or the Harbourside one in Wellington are Farmers Markets. Both are large, the fresh produce comes mainly from market gardeners in Levin and Otaki. Other produce comes from all round the country. I buy bacon and sausages from Pironga, smoked salmon from Stewart island, bread from Wellington bakeries and fish caught in Cook Strait. I'm not sure what type of market you could call them. There is also a lot of ready to eat caravans and in the Lower Hutt one, jewellery, knitwear and second-hand goods. Perhaps just calling them markets, without further definition is the right idea .

elliehen, Nov 4, 3:51am
The Lionesses in this area sell jams and pickles twice a year outside the two local supermarkets, all made by a large number of volunteers in their home kitchens.I don't think you'll find a single case in New Zealand medical history of anyone being poisoned by a jar of jam ;)

morticia, Nov 4, 4:23am
There's nothing new about enforcement officers policing community venues where illegal selling so frequently occurs. Are people gullible enough to think they don't actively watch areas of most concern when trading is so blatant!

kay141, Nov 4, 4:44am
I agree but would think they are more liable to be food safety inspectors fron the council or some Health Dept. rather than IRD.

rikimeyer, Nov 4, 5:43am
IRD investigating local market sellers is not a new initiative, it's been happening for years.

antoniab, Nov 4, 5:46am
True - Ive bought jam from loads of old biddies at church fairs and the like, top stuff, way better than supermarket rubbish and Ive never thought twice about whether they are 'allowed to' do it and have never gotten sick.

uli, Nov 5, 2:42am
It has been happening for all the 15 or more years I sold at markets LOL . and many a stall holder never came back .

griffo4, Nov 5, 6:59am
That lady in Kerikeri that kuaka was talking about finally had to jump through many hoops to get her own kitchen certified to make jam and then she still had to go through the same process to make her pickles and all because some jealous so and so complained about her good deeds

She never made a penny from her work and paid for it herself

lt was a great loss to the local Hospice as her preserves made about $1500 a year and all because this person found some archaic law and wrote to the authorities about it and so they had to act
lt caused a real stink in the township and further afield and many people made a thing about going and buying her jam when it went back into the Hospice shop
PS and no one ever got sick from her preserves

kuaka, Nov 5, 8:05am
Thanks griffo - I remember the stink it caused, just couldn't remember the details of how it was resolved.It's very sad when someone who was doing so much good for a worthy cause had so much grief.If they were purely out to make a profit for themselves, then I agree, all the relevant compliance stuff should be complied with, but when it's all done to help a cause like hospice and the person doing all the hard work is making nothing at all from it, then surely it comes down to the choice of the purchaser.Purchase something yummy and homemade from the local op shop and risk (!) being poisoned by jam, or purchase from the local supermarket and eat all the accompanying preservatives.

griffo4, Nov 5, 9:57pm
l think sales went through the roof when she started again just to support her and Hospice
l think it cost her a fair bit to get compliant which is terrible as l don't think they were that well off to afford all that hassle, once upon a time they would have ignored someone like the person who complained but now days they follow it up to the letter and it ends up costing the good person money and no come back on the spiteful moaner
Give me home made preserves any day compared to the stuff that is mass produced and no real taste difference between each flavour