Yams (How to cook)

jtonkin, Oct 8, 9:11am
Hi all, whenever I try to cook Yams in the Roast they end up like little shrivelled up pieces of ikk.HELP.We went out to a nice restaurant the other day who did a sweet yam as a side, the yams were whole and I guess they had honey or some other candied syrup on them and were so divine.

Can anyone tell me how to do this please!Are they boiled!they definitely didn't look like they were roasted.

Thanks from a Yam novice!

sumstyle, Oct 8, 9:38am
When I buy them, I put them in the freezer.Then when I am doing a roast chicken, I don't defrost them when I throw all the veges in to the pan.That way, the yams are ready with everything else.

jtonkin, Oct 8, 9:54am
Do you put something on them to sweeten them!

245sam, Oct 8, 12:17pm
From an earlier thread.

"SWEET AND SOUR YAMS
500g yams
salt
2 tbsp each of butter and honey
1 tsp ginger
1 tbsp vinegar

Boil the yams in salted water until tender. Drain.
Melt the butter in a fry pan and saute the yams. Add the honey and ginger, and cook for 2 minutes more, then add the vinegar and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Serve with meat or fish.
Serves 6.
Quotebev00 (1636 )1:45 am, Mon 16 Jul #14"

Hope that helps, jtonkin.:-))

wheelz, Oct 8, 7:45pm
Yams are naturally sweet

jtonkin, Oct 8, 9:17pm
Thanks 245sam - I wanted to do them to go with steak so didn't fancy actually roasting them, will try this.maybe I'll leave out the vinegar then they'll just be sweet :)

Wheelz - I dont' find them too sweet.I was kind of thinking of a sauce that went on them, candied yams is american but that's kumera in our books.

doley, Oct 9, 2:25am
In the microwave with butter and brown sugar is my favourite.

jtonkin, Oct 9, 3:45am
OHHH Doley are you still around - tell me more, how long in micro!How much brown sugar, sprinkle and butter a knob!

kay141, Oct 9, 3:47am
I've never put sugar with mine. Just butter and pepper when I do them in the microwave.

jcdm, Oct 9, 4:17am
Yum I roast mine with brown sugar and lemon juice

fifie, Oct 9, 4:28am
I pre boil drain, then toss in meltedbutter,honey,orange juice, for a nice syrupyglaze.

doley, Oct 9, 5:37am
Its sort of a trial and error sort of dish as some people like it sweeter than others. Maybe start off with sprinkling brown sugar over with a knob of butter and see how you like it. Then you can add more or less from there. Cover the dish with glad wrap and cook as with normal steamed veges. Sorry can't remember how long exactly to put them on for.
My Dad is one of the few growers on yams in NZ here is his recipe's for yams http://www.halfords.co.nz/index.php!page=shop/article_category_results&article_category=82756c3bb8bb0954284227fabf7602c9&PHPSESSID=thj5n7da75pk42i7o7u6alq1g1

samanya, Oct 9, 5:38am
That's the one!
I don't know where bev00 got her recipe, but I got it from a Digby Laws Vegetable cook book & it's the best.
I use fresh root ginger & no vinegar.

jtonkin, Oct 9, 8:46pm
Popped them in the microwave last night with brown sugar and butter, perfect :) although need to work out how to thicken up the saucey stuff so it stays on them more :D

otterhound, Oct 10, 11:13pm
How long did you microwave them for!I've never done them that way and would like to try=)

lindylambchops1, Oct 11, 1:37am
I love those sweet n sour yams!

penwill1, Oct 11, 6:44pm
coupld of minutes in the microwave then into the oven with maple syrup over the top and lots of cracked pepperyummy!

lythande1, Oct 11, 7:12pm
Either cut everything the same size, or put them in later than the other veges.