Lunch ideas for school holidays

spuddybuddy, Sep 30, 10:48pm
Has anyone got some lunch ideas for the holidays,Kids are sick of sandwiches.Nothing with eggs please as one has an egg allergy

supercook, Sep 30, 10:51pm
I was thinking of making pinwheel scones today for hungry mouths.
Half savoury and half sweet with apple and cinnamon

lx4000, Sep 30, 10:54pm
food platter. What ever you have on a platter and they can pick and choose from fruits raw veggies, crackers, cheese etc

robyn35, Sep 30, 10:57pm
spaghetti on burger buns, savoury scrolls, muffins, toasties, sausage rolls or pinwheels

hlblanchett, Sep 30, 10:57pm
Home made sausage rolls, teriyaki chicken sushi, design your own topping pizza, sausages in bread, macaroni cheese, bacon butties, home made fish or chicken nuggest with chips, mince chow mein, wraps with chicken, sour cream and sweet chili sauce and greens, fish burgers with tartare sauce and cheese, home made KFC (google southern baked chicken), nachos, tortillas, cowboy mince, fried rice, spaghetti bolognaise, lasagne, pancakes; just a few quick ideas which come to mind!

hlblanchett, Sep 30, 11:14pm
And a few more that I can think of. fish cakes, club sandwiches instead of normal sandwiches, breakfast sausages wrapped in bacon, baked potatoes with assorted toppings.

289capri, Sep 30, 11:15pm
Baked potato, let them choose their own fillings.Very quick done in the microwave.

tansrich2, Oct 1, 1:58am
would love to know more about yourbaked potato and fillings done in microwave!

245sam, Oct 1, 2:18am
tansrich2, there's a couple of ideas/recipes for Baked Potatoes and Toppings on the following link although the potatoes in those recipes are oven-baked which does, of course, make the skins crisper and IMO easier to scoop the actual potato out of if stuffing rather than simply topping the potatoes with the filling of choice.

http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Easy-Baked-Potato-Toppings

245sam, Oct 1, 2:20am
On the following link there are lots of recipes/ideas for using baked beans and/or spaghetti that should be useful lunch ideas and IMO baked beans and spaghetti are very reasonably priced options - we use and I recommend Homebrand (e.g. from Countdown) both for their price and quality, although I have long since ceased to need school holiday lunch ideas.:-))

http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/content/search!SearchText=baked+beans&type=site&Search=Search

sarahb5, Oct 1, 4:44am
I have teenage boys so I won't be at home feeding them but the choices in the freezer that they have requested are:

Pizza
Burgers
Pies
Pizza bases so they can make their own pizzas
Baked beans
Spaghetti
Sausages
French bread
Croissant
Sausage rolls
Bread (for toasties)

They can and will bake if they want something sweet but there are some muffins in the freezer too and once a week I will leave them the money for Subway

sarahb5, Oct 1, 4:45am
I usually cook my baked potatoes in the microwave and then just finish them off in the oven so that the skins go crispy - you need to prick and salt the skins then wrap in kitchen roll before microwaving to prevent the skin from being "chewy"

spuddybuddy, Oct 1, 5:34am
Fab ideas thanks so much.really appreciate the help

spuddybuddy, Oct 1, 5:35am
Great tip,hate chewy skins

rainrain1, Oct 1, 5:52am
Wagon Wheel Biscuits - a scone mixture rolled like a swiss roll with sausage and cheese in the middle.

1/4 cup butter
2 cups self raising flour
1 cup buttermilk
500 gm sausage meat
3/4 cup grated cheese
Some finely chopped herbs (optional)

Put the flour and butter into your food processor and process until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Tip mixture into a bowl and add buttermilk, mix then turn out onto a floured surface. Knead for about a half minute. Roll out to a piece about 12” x 9”. Spread the sausage meat onto dough then the grated cheese and herbs. Roll up then chill.

Cut into 1/2” slices and bake cut side down on a paper lined baking tray in a 200 deg C oven until lightly browned

This one's more of a treat, so healthy people move along, move along :-)

Recipe for Fried Bread and Cinnamon Sugar:
(Batter makes about 9-10 full slices or 18-20 halves)
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1. Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl.
2. Add the eggs and the milk and whisk to combine.
3. Preheat about 1/2″ to 3/4″ of vegetable or canola oil in a deep skillet over medium-medium high heat. (To tell if the oil is ready, I take a drop of the batter and put it in the oil. If the drop bubbles and floats, I know it’s ready.)
4. Dip the bread halves into the batter, letting the excess drip back into the bowl.
5. Fry the bread in the hot oil on both sides until golden brown in batches.
6. Remove from pan and drain on plate or platter lined with paper towels. Immediately sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. You can add more to your liking, but get some of the sugar on there while you can still see some oil.
7. Fry remaining bread.
8. Go to your happy place while eating this heavenly breakfast treat (or dessert) and thank me when you’re full.

Cinnamon Sugar: (You won’t need this much but save the rest in a tight container for next time…or you can cut the recipe in half.)
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Mix these two until well combined and sprinkle on fried bread as soon as it comes out of the oil.