Carrot Cake

nzhel, Oct 4, 1:55am
I am thinking of making a carrot cake for my hubby's b/day this weekend. I have looked thru the search function at recipes and am now confused more than ever! There are heaps to choose from - some with pineapple, some without, some with quite a few spices, others a lot less. Has anyone got a really tried and true 'to die for' recipe including the cream cheese icing.please!

245sam, Oct 4, 2:09am
nzhel, carrot cake is by no means a favourite of mine however I have noted that the Motueka Carrot Cake was very popular here on this MB - did you find that recipe!While I can't personally recommend it I'm sure that there will be many here that could/would.:-))

winnie231, Oct 4, 2:29am
The Motueka Carrot Cake gets my vote . easy & delicious :)

ange164, Oct 4, 5:08am
this one is the best one i've made off here. mckenzies carrot cake. It makes one large and deep (23 cm round) one or two smaller loaf size ones. It's very moist and you can reduce the oil by a third if you want reduced fat without it affecting the flavour. It freezes and defrosts well.

Mackenzie2's CARROT CAKE:
BEAT 3 eggs, 3/4 cup oil and 1.5cups sugar, when light in colour add 1 tsp vanilla 3/4 cup orange juice and small tin of crushed pinnapple. In another bowl put 3 cups grated carrot, 2 cups wholemeal flour, 1 cup coconut The rest:1.5 tsp mixed spice, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1.5 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp baking powder, .5 cup walnuts. Mix all together, bake 160 for approx 1 hr, keep checking after 50mins (oven dependent) Icing when cool, 25gms butter 100gms cream cheese, both softened, add enough icing sugar till light fluffy and thick, Put on cake I sprinkle with apricots, thread coconut, pump seeds, and sliced almonds. ENJOY

mackenzie2, Oct 4, 6:19pm
Yip, I am still making that one also, altlhough I am yet to make the Motueka Carrot cake, must give it a go one of these days.

bridget107, Oct 7, 8:30am
This is one of the best carrot cakes I've tasted, and I LOVE carrot cake!
http://aftertasteblog.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/carrot-cake-with-cream-cheese-icing/

pbear, Oct 7, 8:36am
I got this off here ages ago and use it all the time, everyone loves it.Throw it all in the food processor.Kitchen Wizz Carrot Cake.In WIZZ,chop 3 medium peeled carrots until finely chopped. ADD:2 cups sugar,1 cup oil,2 teaspoons cinnamon,4 eggs.Wizz again till blended.Then add:2 cups plain flour,2 teaspoons baking powder,1 teaspoon baking soda,1 teaspoon salt.(can add any xtra spices to taste eg nutmeg or mixed spice)Wizz all together till blended.Pour into 26cm large cake tin (lined)& bake @ 150 degrees c for approx 1 hour.When cold ,Ice with Cream Cheese Icing-100grms Cream Cheese,50 grms butter,1 teaspoon Vanilla,2 cups Icing Sugar,Lemon or orange juice & rind. Soften butter & cr cheese.then add other ings -mix till smooth and ice cake.

shickenmcboing, Oct 7, 7:21pm
i buy the binn in carrot cake mix but grate a carrot into recipy not bad 4 a premix recipy make 12 large muffins

craftylady1, Oct 7, 7:25pm
I always make Alison Holsts microwave CC and is always popular.and I add walnut bits to it