The best ever carrot cake

centrepoint, Aug 25, 9:53am
I tried the best carrot cake ever today from the sauce kitchen in chch.
Apparently they beat the egg whites and drizzle the oil into the egg yolks....anyone have a recipe for this

pickles7, Aug 25, 10:56am
O yeah, that's the one you prick the yolks with a tooth pick, andput the oil in the egg yolk with an eye dropper. We used to make that recipe in our bakery.

winnie231, Aug 25, 8:17pm
Wasn't the recipe in Zest - the foodie bit of the Chch press?

griffo4, Aug 26, 6:13am
Does anyone have a recipe please?

motorbo, Aug 26, 6:18am
nope i mine has apple sauce and only a tiny bit of oil, its yum

hort1, Aug 26, 8:19am
Recipe please love carrot cake

winnie231, Aug 26, 8:22am
I just read about this cake ... I'm pretty sure it was in the press - I'll ring Mum & ask her to bring me over her copy tomorrow when she comes for lunch.
If the recipe's there - I'll share it.

loose_goose, Aug 26, 10:23pm
I use this recipe, which I got from a woman called Katrina back in the late 1980s. It's really nice, and if you can, use macadamia nut oil instead of ordinary vegetable oil.

1 1/2 cups finely grated carrot
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
2 eggs
1 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
Combine eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla and sifted dry ingredients in basin. Beat on low speed until smooth. Stir in carrots and walnuts. Mix well. Pour into greased 20cm ring tin. Bake 45-50 minutes in a moderate oven - about 180C.

Cream cheese topping (the best part!)
Beat 25g of soft butter and 50g of cream cheese until smooth. Add 1 tsp grated lemon rind and 1 1/2 cups sifted icing sugar. Beat until smooth and use to ice cake.

winnie231, Aug 27, 3:30am
Reporting back - Mum checked the press for me ... but no recipe.
This is going to annoy me now because I know I've just read about it ... somewhere!
Maybe you could ask at the cafe directly ... many cafe's are happy to share their recipes and as I'm sure this one has been published anyway ... well, worth a try.

lindylambchops1, Aug 27, 10:01am
The Press didn't give the recipe it was just showing a cafe place that served the carrot cake!It did sound delicious!

winnie231, Aug 27, 10:10am
Oh - thanks for that lindylambchops ... was starting to think I'd been dreaming!!! Here's hoping the cafe will share the recipe :)

katalin2, Aug 27, 10:26am
I was reading "Zest" from the Press in the plane up to Wellington on Wednesday and have just fished it out of my bag as I also was intrigued by it so kept it: Gabrielle Lewis, creator of the cake at the Sauce Kitchen says "it is a voluptuous mixture- I make a meringue with the egg whites and drizzle the oil into the egg yolks and sugar and the 2 are then folded together with the carrots, flour and the walnuts". Maybe someone could experiment with their usual recipe and let us know how they get on- don't have time myself this weekend but would like to play around with this.

hort1, Aug 28, 5:36am
Thanksloose- goose

papariccardo, Apr 23, 2:04pm
Bumping for updates & carrot cake addendums.