Tomato sauce form canned tomatoes

helen59, Jul 19, 10:37pm
I want to make tomato sauce with my students (tomato sauce that you put on a pie!). Because of the price of tomatoes right now I would like a recipe that uses canned tomatoes. Can ayone help!

iman007, Jul 19, 11:43pm
thats why you make it in the summer my dear, when tomatoes are cheap.
the year before last i made 60 litres and this year only made 40 litres.I use asa base for lots of my cooking, casseroles, etc, garlic sauce and also for my bbq ribs. Man they are premo in my sauce.Use the edmonds recipe, but i add a few extras in, to my liking

245sam, Jul 19, 11:52pm
helen59, this is a recipe that I kept, a few years ago, from a local freebie newspaper "just in case" so is personally untried but it may be just what you're wanting.

TOMATO SAUCE
1 x 400g can cherry tomatoes
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp good quality balsamic vinegar
saltandfreshly ground black pepper

Empty the can of cherry tomatoes into a small saucepan, then add the sugar and vinegar, and seasoning to taste.Simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve withe.g.fish and chips.

IMO it sure looks simple and quick enough for a classroom situation so hope that helps.:-))

kesley, Jul 20, 3:54am
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/the-quickest-tomato-sauce

this recipe is AMAZING. I use it fairly often as a pasta sauce. It's super simple, too.

nauru, Jul 20, 7:03am
If you mean ketchuptype sauce, I have a recipe which uses tomato paste instead of fresh or canned tomatoes, will post it if you want it.I make it now for my grandies, they like it much better that shop bought.

razell, Jul 21, 2:54am
I have made tomato sauce using tin tomatoes and I just substituted tin for fresh and it was great.
Tin tomatoes can be an economic way of making sauce, if you don't grow your own tomatoes.