Looking for the Alison Holst Cheese Puff recipe

pjmw, Jul 14, 12:56am
Hello everyone.I am a long time lurker who has benefitted hugely from your wisdom and admire your cooking skills enormously.My mother had some lovely cheese puffs at a church do recently and asked for the recipe and was told it was an Alison Holst, but we have failed to find it in the Alison Holst books we have, and I was wondering if any of you knew of it.It would be very much appreciated if you could help.

fifie, Jul 14, 1:28am
x2
pjmw just read where Alison Holsts Cheese Puff recipe is in her book Let's Cook with Alison Holst - Kids Cookbook . Maybe you could find it at your local library. If not i have a good old recipe from grandma that makes lovely little cheese puffs, yell out if you want it.

indy95, Jul 14, 2:18am
x2
Pjmw, this isn't the Alison Holst recipe mentioned in fifie's post butit i makes delicious Cheese Puffs.

2 cups tasty cheese grated
1 1/2 c self-raising flour
1/2 t salt
1 tbsp sugar
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 egg
1 cup milk

Preheatoven to 200C and grease 12 medium sized muffin pans.
Combine cheese, flour, salt, sugar and cayenne together well. Beat egg and milk together, pour into dry ingredients and fold together gently just until combined.
Divide between muffin pans, sprinkling extra cheese on tops if you wish and bake for 12 to 15 mins or until muffins are cooked through and browned on top.
The mixture can also be droppped in spoonfuls on an oven tray covered with baking paper and baked for about the same time.

pjmw, Jul 14, 3:26am
Thanks for the info and the alternative recipe.Will go to library and look up and will try this other recipe.I knew you lot were brilliant!

245sam, Jul 14, 3:39am
pjmw, please let us know if you are able to source the Alison Holst recipe.I collect Alison Holst books and must admit I was mystified that I couldn't find the recipe in any of my books, but thanks to fifie's posting at #2, I now understand why - that particular book is amongst the books that I gave our daughter when she left home.If you can't source the recipe I'll try to remember to get the recipe when we visit our daughter in her new home in about 5 weeks time.:-))

Another alternative recipe that you might like to try is this one that I have used many many times and the cheese puffs are great whether hot, warm or cold.

CHEESE PUFFS
2 cups grated cheese, preferably tasty, but otherwise use edam
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch each ofcayenne pepperandsalt
2 eggs
about ¼ cup milk

Place the cheese into a bowl and, on top of it sift in the flour, baking powder and cayenne pepper.With a fork mix the dry ingredients through the cheese.
Lightly beat the eggs and salt, then add them and the milk to the cheese mixture.Mix together to form a stiff dough like mixture.Using a teaspoon (for cocktail-size puffs) or a soup spoon and allowing room for spreading place the mixture on a greased oven tray.
Bake at200°Cforabout 10 minutes.:-))

245sam, Aug 23, 9:33am
pjmw, here is the Cheese Puff recipe from "Let's Cook with Alison Holst.

CHEESE PUFFS
2 cups grated cheese
1 egg
1 tsp salt
½ cup milk
1¼ cups self-raising flour

Turn the oven on to heat at 230°C.
Grate the cheese. (It takes about 100g to make 2 cups full.)
Put the egg, the salt and the milk in a bowl and beat with an egg beater until foamy.Tip in the grated cheese and self-raising flour, and stir just enough to mix everything.
Take a rounded teaspoonful of mixture and push it off the spoon on to a greased oven slide with another teaspoon.Leave some space between the puffs because they rise as they cook.You should have about 20 puffs.
Turn the oven down to 220°C and put the puffs in about the middle of the oven.
Bake for 10 minutes, until golden brown.
Cool on a cake rack and eat plain, or split with butter.:-))

unknowndisorder, Aug 23, 9:47am
Sam, I'd just like to say you're lovely. You are just so helpful, you're cool ;)

katalin2, Aug 23, 11:36am
just copied out above recipe sam- missed that you had already found it- too late in the night!

2young1, Aug 23, 11:36pm
are the alison holst cheese puffs like scones or muffins! or lighter!

deedonk, Aug 24, 1:57am
Thank you for that.

2young1, Aug 24, 1:59am
have just taken a batch of these out of oven and can recommend. very tastly and delish. thanks for the recipe!

indy95, Aug 25, 5:10am
You are very welcome.