Large yummy cake recipe please

mercartin, May 1, 3:51am
I have been asked to make a cake for a friend's work function. I usually make a lemon sour cream cake but would like recipes forsomething new and spectacular. not fancy iced but delicious inside. Any helpers out there!

cookessentials, May 1, 4:03am
Have bumped up the Cakes thread. There are some awesome ones on there.

mercartin, May 1, 4:14am
Brilliant Thanks!

gardie, May 1, 4:31am

turtlet, May 1, 7:32am
I can recommend the Motueka Carrot Cake and Annabel Langbein's chocolate cake for work functions.They are both on here and are very popular.

dotty23, May 1, 7:56am
I would recommend a Womens Weekly (I think) raspberry custard tea cake.It is not iced but so dam delicious!You make the custard & leave it in fridge to set, then it gets layered into the cake with fresh (or frozen) raspberries.Has almonds etc on top.I will post the recipe if you're interested.:)

motgirl, May 1, 10:31am

mercartin, May 1, 7:55pm
This looks divine! Thanks.

mercartin, May 1, 7:56pm
Yum! Delicious. Yes please!

mercartin, May 1, 7:57pm
Keeping this onefor sure!

mercartin, May 1, 7:57pm
Thanks. I had forgotten the Motueka Carrot cake

katalin2, May 1, 8:08pm
This makes a HUGE cake- I make it regularly. Made it over the weekend- got 3 cakes out of the mixture; 2 for giving away and one for keeping out of the mixture. Good use for frozen bananas. A lovely moist cake every time.
Banana Chocolate Yogurt Cake
2 cups sugar, 200g butter or marg, 3 cups self raising flour, 2 eggs, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup plain yogurt, 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence, 2 mashed bananas, ½ cup cocoa, ¼ tsp salt. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Turn mixture in to medium roasting dish and bake at 180C for an hour. That’s it. Note, I pour the boiling water over the butter/marg to melt it. You don’t have to use plain yogurt. I have used fruit flavoured and it is lovely. I have also left out the cocoa altogether and not replaced it with anything. Bananas can be replaced with other soft fruit. So there you go. Very versatile. It will work fine in two smaller cake tins or even as muffins. Adjust cooking time to suit. I don’t actually know that it ever takes an hour to cook. Depends on oven I suppose.

Quoteevorotorua (91 ) 3:55 pm, Sun 24 Oct #5

katalin2, May 1, 8:08pm
This makes a HUGE cake- I make it regularly. Made it over the weekend- got 3 cakes out of the mixture; 2 for giving away and one for keeping.Good use for frozen bananas. A lovely moist cake every time.

Banana Chocolate Yogurt Cake
2 cups sugar, 200g butter or marg, 3 cups self raising flour, 2 eggs, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup plain yogurt, 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence, 2 mashed bananas, ½ cup cocoa, ¼ tsp salt. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Turn mixture in to medium roasting dish and bake at 180C for an hour. That’s it. Note, I pour the boiling water over the butter/marg to melt it. You don’t have to use plain yogurt. I have used fruit flavoured and it is lovely. I have also left out the cocoa altogether and not replaced it with anything. Bananas can be replaced with other soft fruit. So there you go. Very versatile. It will work fine in two smaller cake tins or even as muffins. Adjust cooking time to suit. I don’t actually know that it ever takes an hour to cook. Depends on oven I suppose.

Quoteevorotorua (91 ) 3:55 pm, Sun 24 Oct #5

moore., May 2, 12:10am
do we have a recipe for Motueka Carrot cake

dotty23, May 2, 8:54am
Righto, here goes:

Raspberry & Custard Tea Cake

250g butter, softened
2 T finely grated orange rind
1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
2 T fresh orange juice
1/2 cup (60g) ground almonds (almond meal)
150g fresh or frozen raspberries
1/4 cup (20g) flaked almonds
Icing sugar, thickened cream for serving (I didn't bother with this!)

CUSTARD:
2 T custard powder
1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
1 cup (250ml) milk
20g butter, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1.CUSTARD:Combine the custard powder and sugar in a small saucepan; gradually stir in the milk.Cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens.Remove from heat, stir in butter & vanilla.Press a piece of plastic wrap over the surface of the custard to prevent a skin forming; refrigerate until cold.

2.Preheat the oven to 170 deg C (150 deg fan forced).Grease a deep 22cm springform cake pan.Line base & side with baking paper.

3.Beat butter, rind & sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light & fluffy.beat in eggs one at a time.Gradually fold in combined sifted flours, orange juice, then almond meal.

4.Spread two-thirds of the cake mixture into the prepared pan.Dollop small spoonfuls of custard over cake mixture.Spoon the remaining cake mixture over custard - carefully spread with a spatula to completely cover the custard.Sprinkle over raspberries, then flaked almonds.

5.Bake for about 1 hour 25 mins or until cooked when tested.Cool cake in pan.Transfer cake to cake stand & dust with sifted icing sugar.Serve with thickened cream if desired.

Suitable to freeze.Not suitable to microwave.

This really is a tasty cake, even though it may sound a bit plain.I think I may have doubled the recipe when I made it, because I made a huge cake.I also didn't bother with the almonds etc on top of the cake but I think they would make it even tastier!Let me know if you make it & what you thought of it!