Mint and apple jelly help please

bjkiwi, Dec 8, 1:24am
The recipe I am using says "Use a potato masher to mash up the apple pieces to the consistency of thin apple sauce" Can i use the stick blender to do this or would that be too fine! Can I use the cellophane seals if its not going to be kept for too long! (I dont have enough proper lids) and does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with the remaining pulp after straining! TIA for any help

rainrain1, Dec 8, 4:40am
yes you could use a stick blender,,yes you can use cellophane seals.not sure about the pulp though

indy95, Dec 8, 6:24am
Bjkiwi, last time I made apple mint jelly I was in " economy" mode and dec ided to to use the remaining pulp to make a spiced apple butter i.e. a thick spread which was very tasty on toast and scones. I can't locate the recipe right now but I'm sure there are plenty available on Google and I willcertainly post it when I find it. You could also use it for a spicy savoury sauce.

indy95, Dec 8, 11:09pm
Spicy Apple Butter

1.5 kg cooking washed and chopped ( don't need to be peeled or cored )
Water to cover
1/2 - 1 t cinnamon
1/4 - 1/2 t ground cloves
Sugar

Put apples in a large pan, just cover with water and simmer for about 1 hour or until the apples are soft and pulpy.
Press the apple pulp through a sieve then measure it and add the spices and 500 g of sugar for each 600 ml of puree. Heat slowly stirring occasionally until the sugar has completely dissolved then bring to boil and simmer stirring often for about 30 to 45 mins until you can push a wooden spoon across the base of the pan and leave a clean line through the mixture.
Put in sterilised jars and cover.

bjkiwi, Dec 8, 11:31pm
mmmmm, sounds tasty. I have about 1.5kg of pulp left from the jelly so i think i will just wizz it smooth then reheat with the xtras and bottle. Thanks sooo much!