Want to make a super-easy super-moist Xmas Cake!

bluetigerrr, Dec 8, 1:00am
This is a recipe from Janice Marriott, a columnist at NZ House & Garden magazine and makes a fabulous, well-flavoured and moist cake without any fuss!

Quick Fabulous Xmas Cake

1kg mixed dried fruit(include prunes for a rich, dark colour)
½ cup liquid, either sherry, rum or tea
200g butter
2 cups flour
½ cup sugar
½ tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
2 eggs
½ cup milk
¼ cup honey

Soak fruit in liquid overnight.
Next day, rub butter into flour in a big bowl using fingertips (or process in a food processor then transfer to a bowl). Add sugar, baking soda and salt then mix in dried fruit.
In another bowl, mix eggs with milk and honey. Add to main mixture and stir (with hands).
Put into 1 large or 2 small lined cake tins. Bake at 160°C for 2½ hours.

just_4_me, Dec 8, 8:54am
Not sure if this is moist or not but going to give it a try this weekend

Versatile Fruit Cake: Book 1, 2, and Christmas version in our latest release "4 Ingredients Christmas".

1 kg bag mixed Fruit (low GI if required)
2 cups juice (low GI or two cups of black tea)
2 cups Self Raising Flour (Gluten Free if Coeliac)

Add mixed fruit and juice/tea and allow to marinate overnight in the fridge.
Preheat oven to 125C/300F degrees , combine self raising flour and fruit mix. Pour into a cake tin and cook in the oven for about two hours & Half hours. You can make these in muffin tins, wrap and give as a present. So easy and so Budget friendly. If making into mini fruit cakes in muffin tins bake for half the time.xx

cookessentials, Dec 8, 10:31pm
I use the one with the wooden cake box and have done for the last 2-3 years. it is always moist and tasty ( which is amazing as I am not overly fussed with Christmas cake.)

lilyfield, Dec 8, 10:42pm
I use the 3 ingredient fruitcake and add heaps of spices. Even easier

jag5, Dec 9, 4:12am
just-4-me.no sugar!

This is like a fruit loaf I make.
1 cup bran, 1 cup sultanas or mixed fruit, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup tea or OJ.soak.then add 1 cup SR flour and bake.

celosia, Dec 9, 7:33am
cookessentials I'm with you - that Christmas Cake is absolutely beautiful and I am not a fruit cake lover!It is the first Christmas Cake I have ever made - I have not iced it, and half of it has been eaten already!Using the wooden cake box was money well spent and most of my ingredients came from Bin Inn.

lilyfield, Dec 9, 7:38am
just-4-me.no sugar!

yes =that's right no sugar no butter no eggs. and its delish

torichic, Dec 9, 7:45am
hi,,what is the wooden cake box!cheers

celosia, Dec 9, 7:55am
www.woodencakebox.co.nz - they make cake making so much easier as you don't have to line them with layers and layers of paper etc

celosia, Dec 9, 7:56am
I purchased mine locally.

cookessentials, Dec 9, 7:58am
They really do make the nicest cake torichic. Just use the recipe that comes with the box, line the box with baking paper and that's it.