"freezer" jam

pcjo, Dec 3, 3:00am
looking for tried and true recipes for freezer (or no-cook) jam, preferably with strawberries. YUM
Now before you all start withwhy dont I just do proper jam, I dont want to. Just thought of it sends me into spasms. Whipping something up that I can scoop out of the freezer once a week sounds so much easier.

Should I being using store bought pectin, or will lemon juice do fine!
Sugar to fruit ratio!

cgvl, Dec 3, 3:24am
I would have thought you would need to cook the fruit first, then add sugar and once has reached setting stage and cooled enough to handle, then you would pour into freezer proof containers and store in freezer.

Strawberries I do 1:1 ratio with lemon juice to help set.

nauru, Dec 3, 7:37am
You don't cook freezer jam, hence the reason for freezing it.You crush the fruit well, add sugar and pectin stirring well to dissolve sugar. Pot up and seal and leave jars in fridge for 48 hours before freezing.
I can't remember the exact recipe but will look it up if you want, the ratio of sug. ar to fruit is quite high. I used to make this quite often with berry fruit and used liquid pectin (Certo) but haven't seen this for a long time. Maybe jam setta would work ok.

nauru, Dec 3, 7:42am
For Strawberry Jam 11/2lbs fruit to 2lbs sugar, 1 teasp citric acid and 4 fluid ozs liquid pectin. Crush fruit well, add sugar and pectin stirring well to dissolve sugar. Pot up and seal and leave jars in fridge for 48 hours before freezing. Sorry, amounts not metric, you will have to convert it.

uli, Dec 3, 8:01am
Since when does pectin set without being boiled!
Or is that just a fluke they write on the packets to deceive you!

davidt4, Dec 3, 8:23pm
Most recipes for freezer jam involve boiling the pectin in water for a few minutes.I don't know the chemistry involved apart from the fact that pectinforms a gel more rapidly in an acidic solution.

uli, Dec 3, 9:34pm
How about using chia seeds! Especially in raspberries you won't notice the little seeds. I make a lovely raw raspberry dessert by simply mashing the raspberries with a stick blender, then adding white chia seeds. Let it sit for half a day and you have a lovely pudding to be eaten with cream or Greek yoghurt. I am sure you could freeze it too and maybe even turn it into ice cream with some whipped cream and some egg whites.

pcjo, Dec 3, 11:57pm
thanks for all the replies.Nauru I have only been able to find kings jam setting agent. where would I find the liquid certo!. I have heard that using lemon juice also increases the pectin without having to use extra pectin!

Uli, do the chai seeds thicken it up! Where would I find these!

Thanks again for the replies :) Appreciate it

uli, Dec 4, 5:13am
Any health food shop and Bin Inn has them. Google chai seeds and you get lots of good ideas. Use the white ones, as black might look a bit strange. Yes they form a gelatine.

nauru, Dec 4, 6:04am
I used to buy Certo at NW but haven't seen it for a while. Yes, lemon juice does help if making jam traditionally by boiling. The certo liquid pectin helped the jam to jell to the consistancy of a conserve rather than set solid like boiled jam but the taste of freezer jam is far better than the boiled version.

nauru, Dec 4, 6:13am
Why so negative Uli, obviously you have never made freezer jam. The OP askeda question and I replied with the experience of having madefreezer jam often in the past. This entailed using a product called Certo which is a liquid pectin which helped the fruit and sugar to jell.

duckmoon, Dec 4, 7:36am
My friend uses a regular recipe, and rather than putting it sterilized jars, she puts it into an ice cream container and takes out as much as she needs.

uli, Dec 4, 7:44am
Whats negative about asking how pectin is supposed to set without being boiled! As far as my knowledge of pectin goes it needs to be boiled. So maybe you can boil it with a bit of water first - then add to the raw fruit!

The liquid pectin you talk about has a recipe for raw strawberry jam - and a negative review on the top right of the page. So who knows how that works!

http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/easy-no-cook-strawberry-jam-84641.aspx

pcjo, Dec 5, 8:09am
so, an update if you are interested. I followed the freezer jam recipe, but boiled the jam setter in water for 6 minutes then added the the fruit and sugar pulp. After waiting the obligatory 24 hours, it was a lovely thick syrup, but not jam. So followed the packet instructions for if your jam didnt set, and boiled it all up for 5 or so minutes. It is just lovely!
Thanks duckmoon. I am going to try just chucking it in the freezer.

macwood2, Dec 5, 8:26am
I have just made strawberry jam the regular (Edmonds) way.It said boil for 20 mins or so.Well it just would not set.I have bottled it but it looks really runny.I wonder what went wrong!Any ideas friends!

jag5, Dec 5, 7:03pm
Did you add pectin or jam setting mix!Strawberries don't have enough pectin.I often use a grated apple to add the pectin needed and splosh of lemon juice.

If a recipe says to boil 20 minutes.that is just a guideline.could take less, could take more - depending on the moisture content of the fruit which varies at any given time.reboil with a bit of one of the above then test on a saucer before jarring up again.