Plain light cake recipe

Page 2 / 4
justme27, Jul 25, 9:06am
I made this today and it's yummmmy :) Just wondering how it would turn out making 2 loaves instead of the cakes, and what size loaf tins would be best to use! The cakes will definitely be made again soon.thanks o much for your recipe kiwitrish

dbab, Jul 25, 10:23pm
bump for opps

kiwitrish, Jul 26, 8:55pm
So glad you like the recipe.You can make it in loaf tins.Just use any size you have, remembering that the cake does rise so leave enough room.This cake freezes well too.

dbab, Jul 26, 9:02pm
Hi kiwitrish,
My daughter and I were wondering how this recipe would go as cupcakes?
Have you done this?
Cheers

motgirl, Jul 27, 12:37am
Kiwitrish, is the 180 degrees for a fan forced oven?

kiwitrish, Jul 27, 1:26am
I have used this recipe for cup cakes with no problem.I also make Nigella's cup cake recipe for a different flavour and texture.here is the recipe if you want it.Dead easy and fast.
125g butter, softened
125g sugar
125g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-3 tablespoons of milk

Preheat oven to 200C, or 180C if using fan-forced.

Place all the ingredients except the milk into a food processor. Blitz in short bursts until
the mixture is well combined and smooth.

Whilst pulsing the mixture, gradually pour in the two tablespoons of milk through the
food processor funnel. Blitz until the milk has been incoporated. The mixture should look
smooth. Add another tablespoon of milk if necessary.

Divide the mixture across a patty-lined 12-muffin tin. A generous tablespoon should be
sufficient, as the mixture should triple in size when baked.

Bake for 15-20min or until well-risen and the tops are a pale gold in colour. Ice when
cool.

Variations:
Lemon cupcakes: Add two teaspoons of finely grated lemon rind.
Chocolate cupcakes: Add two tablespoons of cocoa.

Buttercream icing: Beat 125g softened unsalted butter with 250g pure icing sugar using
an electric mixer. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla essence and 2 teaspoons of milk. Beat until
smooth (a wooden spoon can be easier at this point), adding either more milk or icing
sugar if necessary. Use a piping bag to decorate swirls onto cooled cupcakes.

Chocolate icing: Melt 90g of dark chocolate (broken in pieces) and 30g butter in a bowl
sitting over a pot of gently simmering water. Stir until melted, then add 1 cup icing sugar
and about 2 tablespoons of hot water. Mix well and add either more hot water or icing
sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Using a spatula to slather generously over cooled cupcakes or pipe on.

kiwitrish, Jul 27, 1:28am
No it's not fan forced.180 deg normal.

dbab, Jul 27, 9:02pm
Hi kiwitrish,
My daughter and I were wondering how this recipe would go as cupcakes!
Have you done this!
Cheers

motgirl, Jul 28, 12:37am
Kiwitrish, is the 180 degrees for a fan forced oven!

kiwitrish, Jul 28, 1:26am
I have used this recipe for cup cakes with no problem.I also make Nigella's cup cake recipe for a different flavour and texture.here is the recipe if you want it.Dead easy and fast.
125g butter, softened
125g sugar
125g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-3 tablespoons of milk

Preheat oven to 200C, or 180C if using fan-forced.

Place all the ingredients except the milk into a food processor. Blitz in short bursts until
the mixture is well combined and smooth.

Whilst pulsing the mixture, gradually pour in the two tablespoons of milk through the
food processor funnel. Blitz until the milk has been incoporated. The mixture should look
smooth. Add another tablespoon of milk if necessary.

Divide the mixture across a patty-lined 12-muffin tin. A generous tablespoon should be
sufficient, as the mixture should triple in size when baked.

Bake for 15-20min or until well-risen and the tops are a pale gold in colour. Ice when
cool.

Variations:
Lemon cupcakes: Add two teaspoons of finely grated lemon rind.
Chocolate cupcakes: Add two tablespoons of cocoa.

Buttercream icing: Beat 125g softened unsalted butter with 250g pure icing sugar using
an electric mixer. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla essence and 2 teaspoons of milk. Beat until
smooth (a wooden spoon can be easier at this point), adding either more milk or icing
sugar if necessary. Use a piping bag to decorate swirls onto cooled cupcakes.

Chocolate icing: Melt 90g of dark chocolate (broken in pieces) and 30g butter in a bowl
sitting over a pot of gently simmering water. Stir until melted, then add 1 cup icing sugar
and about 2 tablespoons of hot water. Mix well and add either more hot water or icing
sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Using a spatula to slather generously over cooled cupcakes or pipe on.

kiwitrish, Jul 28, 1:28am
No it's not fan forced.180 deg normal.

limejelly, Aug 3, 12:24am
I've just put my cake batter in the oven and I'm very excited to see how it comes out.I had no lemon jelly crystals so I used black cherry jelly crystals instead, with a bit of lemon essence in there as I can't find my vanilla.Fingers crossed.

elliehen, Aug 3, 1:07am
No lime jelly in your cupboard??

kiwitrish, Aug 3, 2:58am
Let us know how it comes out.Sounds good.

harrislucinda, Aug 3, 5:16am
imadethelemon1geewhatanicecake

retired, Aug 3, 6:48am
Excellent recipe and the one I froze my daughter in law said tasted better than ever!This will definitely be a family favourite and many thanks for the recipe kiwitrish.

limejelly, Aug 4, 12:24am
I've just put my cake batter in the oven and I'm very excited to see how it comes out.I had no lemon jelly crystals so I used black cherry jelly crystals instead, with a bit of lemon essence in there as I can't find my vanilla.Fingers crossed.

elliehen, Aug 4, 1:07am
No lime jelly in your cupboard!

weezil, Aug 4, 1:23am
thank you kiwitrish for both of the above recipes they are lovely,made them both this morning and will be making them again soon.

gardie, Aug 5, 4:37am
bumping to bake.

splitty, Aug 6, 8:49pm
I made strawberry with a teaspoon of strawberry, for a strawberry shortcake cake, and it was great. My nephew (who only ever eats the icing, never the cake) ate his whole piece, which he has never done before with any cake. I put half of this in a 20cm round tin and made the rest into 12 cupcakes. What a fabulous recipe, Thanks

splitty, Aug 6, 8:50pm
oops that was supposed to say a teaspoon of strawberry essence

survivorr, Aug 8, 6:59am
I'm really looking forward to baking this cake next weekend and going to ice it with lemon icing.Yum.

survivorr, Aug 9, 6:59am
I'm really looking forward to baking this cake next weekend and going to ice it with lemon icing.Yum.

kiwibubbles, Aug 10, 6:17am
will this mixture fit into those rectangular roasting dishes! the one that is something like 20 x 30cms