Diabetic/Gluten Free Cake/biscuit Recipe

petal1955, Feb 3, 4:38am
Im looking for a recipe preferably something sweet for a morning tea. I have a diabetic and a Celiac to cater for......would be good if I could bake one item that caters for them both.Thanks.

245sam, Feb 3, 4:56am
petal1955, how about:-

http://www.chelsea.co.nz/recipes/173/mini-blueberry-polenta-cakes--gluten-free.aspx

I haven't made them but I suggest that you'd be best to use plain yoghurt and maybe an artificial sweetener e.g. Splenda, then IMO they'd be ok for both the diabetic and coeliac.

Hope that helps.:-))

cgvl, Feb 3, 5:14am
there is a diabetic baking thread on here. On left is a search engine. change to date posted anytime and put in diabetic baking you will get heaps

valentino, Feb 3, 8:13am
http://www.nzbaker.co.nz/recipes/recipe204.htm Click onto theabove link to a very nice Gluten Free Orange cake recipe from www.nzbaker.co.nz

Cheers.

lythande1, Feb 3, 6:49pm
Don't assume diabetics can't have sugar. When sugar levels are real low, it's seriously urgent they have sugar. The diabetic can test and adjust insulin, eat or not eat according to how levels are so don't fuss.
The gluten person would me more of the worry.

buzzy110, Feb 3, 8:32pm
Totally agree with this statement. Most diabetics have a diet that is quite high in sugar, one way or the other because they are advised, or so I have been reliably informed by motorbo, that they can eat everything in moderation and use their drugs to make everything right again.

On the other hand gluten intolerant and coeliacs haven't any medications to counteract the effects of eating foods they shouldn't and therefore much care needs to be taken when catering to them, or they will indeed suffer much pain and physical distress.

lx4000, Feb 5, 3:19am
Bliss Balls

1 C chopped Dates
1 C Raisins
70g Walnuts
1 Tspn Cocoa
1 Tspn Butter
1 tspn Milk
1 tspn Van Ess
Coconut to roll in

Place all into food processor and whiz till smooth.
Roll into balls.
Roll in coconut and place in fridge.

Sounds soo easy!!

Natural sugars in this. Is this ok ?

buzzy110, 4 days, 20 hours
Pavlova would also probably fit the bill.