Blind baking?

riwa2, Jun 3, 8:08am
what is it? what, when and why do you do? i heard the term used on that chef programme. much appreciated for all assistance

twoboys4us, Jun 3, 8:29am
You line the baking dish with the pastry first, then put on a sheet of bakng paper, then put onto this baking weight beans (or I just use rice) only about 1cmthick.You then put it into oven to cook for about 10-15 mins. Youthen remove the rice & baking paper, then put the filling in as normal.This helps to cook the pastry on the bottom otherwise you end up with an uncooked soggy base. Hope this helps.

southerngurl, Jun 3, 8:30am
its to make the pastry cooked before adding filling, so they make the shell then line with paper and fill with rice and bake it, so that way its a nice crust.. well thats my theory anyway

whitehead., Jun 3, 8:31am
roll your paste out on cling wrap both sides makes it easy place in tin and cover with cooking paper put bread crumbs or dried peas /beans on paper and put in hot oven bake for 10 minutes remove paper and beans and place bake in oven to finish cooking you then let it cool and you can full it with any fulling

whitehead., Jun 3, 8:32am
do remove the cling wrap before baking .it just makes it easy to handle

whitehead., Jun 3, 8:34am
you might like to know that i have been using the same beans for 40 years they just get tipped back into a bottle every time i use them

willemakeit, Jun 3, 8:36am
does the bakig paper also go up the sides or just on the bottom?

twoboys4us, Jun 3, 8:39am
Up the sides aswell, it makes it alot easier to remove afterwards