Chocolate Biscuit Cake a la the Royal Wedding

music_note, Apr 29, 1:58am
Does anyone have a favourite recipe they could share here please? I saw in another thread that it's similar to Chocolate Fudge Cake. Thanks for help.

cookessentials, Apr 29, 2:07am
There are a couple of recipes on that thread

music_note, Apr 29, 2:22am
Darren McGrady's recipe info about the actual wedding cake: http://www.theroyalchef.com/2011/03/prince-williams-wedding-cake/ The recipe - from his book 'Eating Royally' -http://bakersandartists.com/royal-wedding-chocolate-biscuit-cake-recipe

From the book: Eating Royally
by Darren McGrady

Yield: Makes 8 servings
OK, you have to first understand that when I say "biscuit," I am referring to "cookies," not those big muffin-looking things you eat at breakfast to keep the bacon grease of your hands! In Britain, biscuits are cookies…and cookies…well those are things that keep popping up on your computer screens. That explained, this is an amazing no-bake cake best served straight from your refrigerator. I can't say how long it keeps because I have never had one last longer than five minutes before I was starting at a plate of crumbs. Without a doubt, it is the Queen's favourite tea cake. We had request after request from palace visitors to divulge the recipe. Well, I've held out until now. Enjoy! – Darren McGrady

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 teaspoon butter, for greasing pan
* 8 ounces McVities rich tea biscuits
* 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 4 ounces dark chocolate
* 1 egg, beaten
* 8 ounces dark chocolate, for icing
* 1 ounce white chocolate, for decoration

PREPARATION

1. Lightly grease a small (such as 6 x 2 1/2-inch) cake ring with 1/2 teaspoon butter, and place on a parchment-lined tray. Break each of the biscuits into almond-sized pieces by hand and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until the mixture is a light lemon colour.

2. Melt the 4 ounces of dark chocolate in a double boiler. Add the butter and sugar mixture to the chocolate, stirring constantly. Add the egg and continue stirring. Fold in the biscuit pieces until they are all coated with the chocolate mixture.

3. Spoon the chocolate biscuit mixture into the prepared cake ring. Try to fill all of the gaps on the bottom of the ring, because this will be the top when it is unmolded. Chill the cake in the refrigerator for at least three hours.

4. Remove the cake from the refrigerator, and let it stand while you melt the 8 ounces of dark chocolate for icing. Slide the ring off the cake and turn the cake upside down onto a cooling rack. Pour 8 ounces of melted dark chocolate over the cake, and smooth the top and sides using a butter knife or offset spatula. Allow the chocolate icing to set at room temperature. Carefully run a knife around the bottom of the cake where it has stuck to the cooling rack, and transfer the cake to a cake dish. Melt the white chocolate and drizzle on top of the cake in a decorative pattern.

music_note, Apr 29, 2:28am
ps - in his website, Darren McGradyreplied to a question about the 'Rich Tea Biscuits' with this:

'Darren says:
March 28, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Rich tea biscuits are made from wheat flour, sugar, vegetable oil, and malt extract, where their plain flavour and consistency makes them particularly suitable for dunking in tea and coffee.'

http://www.theroyalchef.com/2011/03/prince-williams-wedding-cake/

Sounds like purchased Malt Biscuits would be fine - I'll use those.