Would you cook Apple with Beef?

curry_banana, Apr 1, 3:30am
We only have beef in our freezer... it was homekill, and he butcher either hung it too long or didn't clean his surfaces properly so it's got a funky smell/taste to it(is fine to eat though). To eat we flavour it a LOT, but have run out of seasonings etc in thye cupboard. Thinking about doing a casserole with the beef on a bed of apple. Do you think this would work? Thanks

eastie3, Apr 1, 3:39am
I wouldn't as the combination doesn't appeal to me.Are you sure that it is safe to eat? The smell would really put me off.
You didn't mention the cut of beef.You could try dicing the meat,dredge it in seasoned flour(pepper and salt),brown the cubes in oil and place in a casserole.Brown some onions in the same oil,add worcestershire sauce if you have it and and stir in.Cover and cook slowly,either in the oven or on the stovetop.If you have carrots,peas etc you could add them and have more flavour.Apples would not work with beef in my opinion.

buzzy110, Apr 1, 3:43am
Beef can be hung for 3 months and still be fine. How long did your butcher hang yours? If the meat is vacuum packed it will probably smell 'not very nice' while being perfectly to eat.

Like eastie says, I wouldn't use apples. Maybe a marinade using cheap wine or beer may hide the smell.

245sam, Apr 1, 3:48am
curry_banana, this is a trick that I know cooks of my mother's generation used, and I have too on the odd occasion.
Put some cold water into a clean sink, or a bowl/dish and pour in some vinegar (Mum and I have always used malt vinegar).Add the raw meat and give it a good wash - a soak for a little while can help too.Remove the meat, pat it dry and then proceed to prepare and cook it as you wish.This won't make meat that is 'off' ok to eat but it's always a good way of freshening meat.

Hope that helps.:-))

pericles, Apr 1, 3:52am
I concur, have done it in the past

curry_banana, Apr 1, 4:00am
Thanks for then tips guys! It is def. safe to eat as we have been eating it a lot lately. Just sometimes the smell puts you off.

rainrain1, Apr 1, 5:54am
bed of apple no, bed of onions yes!!

kuaka, Apr 1, 7:49am
mustard or mustard sauce, horseradish, onions, capsicums, chilli - don't fancy apples

goodstuff3, Apr 1, 8:07am
........Mmmmmmm yes! I make a fruity beef curry - add in chopped apple, chopped banana, pineapple pieces, sultanas and dessicated coconut with garlic, ginger, onions and ordinary (mild/hot) curry powder.The fruit all cooks down into a thick sweet/savoury spicy gravy.Cook low and slow and beef will be very tender and flavoursome...