CROCKPOT HANGI?

Page 2 / 2
janny3, Mar 26, 1:35am
Yes, corgi731 stuffing becomes part of the edible earth like a normal ground hangi in that it seals in the steam to allow everything to cook & not dry out.

phatness You need to leave your slow cooker on all day depending on your machine.Sometimes only 6 hours on med or high.Longer if on lower temp.

To get the smoky flavour, papariccardo buy some liquid smoke from Mitre-10 or Bin-Inn or fishing tackle stores.Put a few drops into an icecream container w/ water & dip your veg (etc) in this.If you don't want chemicals, then burn some sawdust & juniper berries in a heavy pan just till it smokes/blackens a little.Pop a dsp or 2 of that in the bottom of your slow cooker w/ maybe a spoon full of water to dampen it, so that the flavour goes through your kai.

You won't want a lot of water because in the end the food cooks & there's usually an inch or so of liquid at the bottom.Some people make gravy from that or soup but if it's got saw dust in it, then the dog or cat gets to have it.

karenz, Mar 26, 6:07am
I have made this with chicken and with wild pork (from Moore Wilsons Fresh in Wellington) and it was great, with the chicken I put the stuffing over the top and with the wild pork I did not, they were both delicious, I also added halved onions and some garlic cloves.You don't need to add any water because the steaming produces a lot of liquid, which makes great gravy.I also weighted down the top of the slow cooker with a cast iron pan.