CROCKPOT HANGI?

Page 1 / 2
phatness, Mar 26, 12:21am
I saw it on here awhile back, Now im trying it out, Im nt sure hw long to cook it on high for? Any help plzzzzzzzz

lissy73, Mar 26, 12:26am
Yes please I want to know too...

phatness, Mar 26, 12:27am
Ive got it all in the pot nw....but hw long do i let it cook??

papariccardo, Mar 26, 12:47am
All day on high, less heat will not do the root veges right. What did you use to get the earthen flavour?

bigcous, Mar 26, 12:57am
HANGI IN CROCKPOT

This is copied from original thread Evening everyone.... hangi was fantastic!I blended two recipes I got off the
trade me cooks website. I prepare all the veges (spuds, kumera, pumpkin,
carrots) and put a ring of spuds on the bottom but leave a hole in the
middle. Then sit a whole chicken (or whatever type of meat you fancy) on
top of the spuds so it’s not sitting directly on the bottom. I then put all
the rest of the veges packed around the chicken. Then I put some watercress (or silverbeeet)
(to taste, depending on how much you like it) on top of that, then big
cabbage leaves over the whole lot. Lastly I cover everything with stuffing
to create kind of a crust on top. I usually put it on first thing in the morning on high (lid on) and turn it down to low about 1-2pm.
Perfect by teatime.

corgi731, Mar 26, 1:24am
The stuffing you would put inside the chook normally, you would put on top of everything? Sounds great, but that last part confuses me

janny3, Mar 26, 1:35am
Yes, corgi731 stuffing becomes part of the edible earth like a normal ground hangi in that it seals in the steam to allow everything to cook & not dry out.

phatness You need to leave your slow cooker on all day depending on your machine.Sometimes only 6 hours on med or high.Longer if on lower temp.

To get the smoky flavour, papariccardo buy some liquid smoke from Mitre-10 or Bin-Inn or fishing tackle stores.Put a few drops into an icecream container w/ water & dip your veg (etc) in this.If you don't want chemicals, then burn some sawdust & juniper berries in a heavy pan just till it smokes/blackens a little.Pop a dsp or 2 of that in the bottom of your slow cooker w/ maybe a spoon full of water to dampen it, so that the flavour goes through your kai.

You won't want a lot of water because in the end the food cooks & there's usually an inch or so of liquid at the bottom.Some people make gravy from that or soup but if it's got saw dust in it, then the dog or cat gets to have it.

karenz, Mar 26, 6:07am
I have made this with chicken and with wild pork (from Moore Wilsons Fresh in Wellington) and it was great, with the chicken I put the stuffing over the top and with the wild pork I did not, they were both delicious, I also added halved onions and some garlic cloves.You don't need to add any water because the steaming produces a lot of liquid, which makes great gravy.I also weighted down the top of the slow cooker with a cast iron pan.

wellx3, Mar 29, 10:50pm
It is a great way to cook did it a couple of times last winter we put cabbage leaves on the side and they seamed to help with the hangi taste but our family is a bit big for one crockpot so have now made a keg hangi instead

djpablonz, May 6, 6:24am
Hi. Thanks for the recipe post. I am trying this tonight, using "Hangi Pork" from Pak'n'save. Smells fab, can't wait to try it.

janny3, May 6, 9:56pm
Delicious too!

djpablonz, May 7, 6:24am
Hi. Thanks for the recipe post. I am trying this tonight, using "Hangi Pork" from Pak'n'save. Smells fab, can't wait to try it.

lil_angel_kel, May 7, 7:49am
Where do you get cabbage leaves from? I wanna try this! :)

sathan81, May 8, 7:03am
from a cabbage, lol
I have tried this recipe and omg yummy

lil_angel_kel, May 8, 7:49am
Where do you get cabbage leaves from! I wanna try this! :)

punkinthefirst, May 8, 7:51am
I also make a kind of hangi meal by putting each individual meal in an oven bag, sealing well, and putting in the oven at a low heat ( about 120 degrees C.)for a few hours. Perfect every time, and one of those meals you can leave to cook all by itself while you're busy doing other things. I've also varied it by adding tandoori paste and yoghourt. Also very tasty, and I guess you could make your own variations!

punkinthefirst, May 9, 7:51am
I also make a kind of hangi meal by putting each individual meal in an oven bag, sealing well, and putting in the oven at a low heat ( about 120 degrees C.)for a few hours. Perfect every time, and one of those meals you can leave to cook all by itself while you're busy doing other things. I've also varied it by adding tandoori paste and yoghourt. Also very tasty, and I guess you could make your own variations!

tammy30, May 19, 5:59am
What is keg hangi?

tullyann, May 19, 6:51am
Check out this No on Trade me377558969they are great ,

tammy30, May 20, 5:59am
What is keg hangi!

phatness, Mar 26, 12:21am
I saw it on here awhile back, Now im trying it out, Im nt sure hw long to cook it on high for! Any help plzzzzzzzz

lissy73, Mar 26, 12:26am
Yes please I want to know too.

phatness, Mar 26, 12:27am
Ive got it all in the pot nw.but hw long do i let it cook!

bigcous, Mar 26, 12:57am
HANGI IN CROCKPOT

This is copied from original thread Evening everyone. hangi was fantastic!I blended two recipes I got off the
trade me cooks website. I prepare all the veges (spuds, kumera, pumpkin,
carrots) and put a ring of spuds on the bottom but leave a hole in the
middle. Then sit a whole chicken (or whatever type of meat you fancy) on
top of the spuds so it’s not sitting directly on the bottom. I then put all
the rest of the veges packed around the chicken. Then I put some watercress (or silverbeeet)
(to taste, depending on how much you like it) on top of that, then big
cabbage leaves over the whole lot. Lastly I cover everything with stuffing
to create kind of a crust on top. I usually put it on first thing in the morning on high (lid on) and turn it down to low about 1-2pm.
Perfect by teatime.

corgi731, Mar 26, 1:24am
The stuffing you would put inside the chook normally, you would put on top of everything! Sounds great, but that last part confuses me