Porridge....so good, soooo good

Page 3 / 5
kiwi.adventures, Mar 15, 8:49pm
Ohhhhh nice! ! ! ! !

wingee, Mar 16, 2:27am
Yum, whats the recipe for that, or should I say the instructions. I love porridge, but have been using the uncle toby sachet ones... ...

kiwi.adventures, Mar 16, 5:03am
Just rolled oats, water (or milk) and a pinch of salt, HEAT and stir clockwise and eat standing up with sprinkle of brown sugar

kiwi.adventures, Mar 16, 11:40pm
mmm goo for lunch too, goes down well with the new microwave bought off, where else, but TM!

kiwi.adventures, Mar 17, 2:12am
mmm yum

kiwi.adventures, Mar 18, 5:05am
anyone else cooking it up recently?

sanguine19, Mar 18, 7:03am
For those not wanting to put on extra weight due to all the brown sugar, I have found cinnamon mixed in during cooking is really good instead.

kiwi.adventures, Mar 18, 7:03am
Brown sugar is nothing, its the milk& cream that do the damage.

Liquid Honey is also a good thing to mix in too!

whitehead., Mar 18, 9:04am
i like raw oat meal with milk only i cant stand it cooked

bel55, Mar 18, 10:13am
MMMMMMMM porridge... ! My husband makes porridge with diced apricot and raisins. Then we sprinkle raw sugar and add milk. All done in the microwave in 5 minutes.

rarogal, Mar 19, 1:15am
Thankyou! ! I also miss Creamoata and haven't found anything to replace it. Does anyone know of anything similar? I like only the smooth porridge so now don't have it at all. Used to be Vi-Max years ago and that disappeared also.

rarogal, Mar 19, 2:50am
I should have added that I put rolled oats through the food processor until it was nice and fine - worked a treat! !

kiwi.adventures, Mar 19, 4:26am
Creamoata is awesome! Rolled oats blitzed still does the job! Raw Sugar on porridge is oh so good too! Also, mixing a little honey in between cooking makes it good too, sometimes you dont have to add any sugar afterwards, its sweet enough but salt is the key to good porridge

martine5, Mar 19, 4:48am
I really like your response kiwi. adventures you go you good thing. ! ! ! !

kiwi.adventures, Mar 19, 10:58pm
YEAAAAHHHHH! ! ! ! ROCK ON

kiwi.adventures, Mar 20, 7:47am
Porridge day of the week tomorrow, you should all be eating porridge on Sundays if at all possible

verrans, Mar 20, 10:22am
Gosh, can't remember the last time I had porridge, but a trick I always use, is to add the sugar into the mix before cooking, then the sweetness is evenly distributed. I've added grated apple and cinamon at times, and also other times mashed banana for a change. But I always have milk. My mother eats porridge daily and never has milk but has banana and mixed frozen berries such as blueberries and blackberries in it, it smells like a dessert.

verrans, Mar 20, 10:27am
forgot to say, I never add salt. My dad was from glasgow and as a child he'd make it and it was so salty it wasn't able to be eaten, by most anyone in the family apart from him. I used to add a teeny pinchful, but then cut it back to none at all.

kiwi.adventures, Mar 20, 10:53am
Im not fussed on if salt is used or not personally in the my day to day porridge making BUT yes adding sugar or even better, liquid honey, once cooked & cooling, is awesome!

To make the ULTIMATE porridge, salt must be used along with full cream milk and done on a stove slowly with either rolled oats or a mix of rolled & steel cut ones for faster cooking. Mum can make the MEANEST porridge but its probably got too much cream & milk so I stick with my cut oats and water for my breakfast/dinner, zap in microwave for 45 secs, instant warm goodness.

I cant WAIT until we get some winter weather, winter, stormy nights/days, cold, wet miserable times, porridge ALWAYS makes it better... . oh soooooo goood!

elliehen, Mar 20, 11:10am
Well, kiwi. adventures, I do believe you really ARE serious about your oats. Here's some more info for you - no mention of 'wild oats' though ;)

oat groats = whole oat groats = whole oatsNotes:Oat groats are minimally processed--only the outer hull is removed. They're very nutritious, but they're chewy and need to be soaked and cooked a long time.
quick oats = quick-cooking oats = quick oatmeal = quick-cooking oatmeal = easy oatsNotes:These are thin flakes of oatmeal that cook up in about three or four minutes. They're a good choice for oatmeal cookies. Substitutes:rolled oats

steel-cut oats = Irish oats = Scotch oats = pinhead oats = coarse-cut oats = steel-cut oatmeal = Irish oatmeal = Scotch oatmeal = pinhead oatmeal = coarse-cut oatmeal = porridge oats = porridge oatmealNotes:These are groats that have been chopped into small pieces. They're chewier than rolled oats, and grain aficionados often prefer them for hot oatmeal cereals and muesli. Substitutes:rolled oats (less chewy, takes less time to cook) OR whole oat groats (takes much longer to cook)

kiwi.adventures, Mar 20, 7:07pm
Very nice, that should clear things up for some people!

Yes I take oats very seriously, maybe its my scots heritage or more probably I think they ( the porridge that is ) is the most nutritious & healthy power food there is and it has ( if made correctly ie with water) no fat to speak of and no calories BUT it keeps your full provides you with fibre to keep things regular, its just an AWESOME food, plus its SOOOOO goooodd on cold days, it warms you up inside and makes you feel all nice and cosy.

It really us underestimated and I would hope more people would turn onto it as a regular food in their diets of their busy weeks instead of the sugar loaded cereals that get pummeled at us each time we visit the supermarket and pay ludicrous prices for a box that isnt even full. Oats, no matter really what sort you buy, are probably the cheapest and best value breakfast on the market.

hezwez, Mar 20, 8:10pm
So when a recipe calls for steam-rolled, "broken kind" rolled oats, not the large flat flakes, which should I buy? And from where?

elliehen, Mar 20, 11:26pm
Goldilocks knew what she was doing when she ate the porridge from each bowl, finally choosing the tastiest. This traditional Scottish dish has many tastes and textures. Some like it thick and sweet, some with salt. Instant porridge (frowned on by porridge purists) is often smooth and a lighter consistency.

These variations are all a matter of personal choice and rely on the oats used and the cooking method.

The oats used for porridge determine how hearty the final dish will be and how long to cook; the finer the oats the quicker the cooking time. The oats used for porridge are usually rolled rather than crushed and Scottish oats, also known as "pinhead oats" and are the ones used for Scottish porridge.

Choose rolled oats if you want a smooth consistency and a porridge that cooks quickly. Rolled oats have a medium grain and are used for oatcakes, biscuits and stuffing.

All oats have the same nutritional value so by choosing them guarantees you a hearty, comforting, breakfast to see you through to lunchtime. Oats are a slow release carbohydrate and perfect for a low G. I. diet. Research also shows they are also useful for lowering cholesterol.

Courtesy of British Food Guide and friend Google ;)

hezwez, Mar 20, 11:38pm
yes but what are steam-rolled, "broken kind" rolled oats? If that is what the recipe actually states?

elliehen, Mar 20, 11:46pm
Try Harraway's New Zealand-made Scotch Oats - 850gm packet for about $3. 69 and often on Special for $2. 99. They fit your description :)