Porridge....so good, soooo good

Page 4 / 5
hezwez, Mar 20, 11:48pm
Ta!

kiwi.adventures, Mar 21, 2:16am
Yea elliehen is on to it! Choice!

calista, Mar 21, 3:02am
Elliehen instant oats or those that are cut very finely are digested more quickly and so are not perfect for a low GI eating plan, according to "The New Glucose Revolution", which goes into some detail about how oats are prepared.

kiwi.adventures, Mar 21, 3:43am
I dont think that is entirely true.

iamkat, Mar 21, 4:26am
1/2 cup porridge oats
pinch of salt
1 cup water
microwave for 2 mins
stir in a pottle ofyoghurt or stewed fruit NOMMM! !
This is a quick easy breakfast that I have most days in winter

kiwi.adventures, Mar 21, 9:04pm
Best of all its possibly the best breakfast/food you can eat to keep you going, loose weight (providing you are easy with the toppings depending on what they are) and maintain good healthy inner health! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

elliehen, Mar 22, 12:22am
Yes, calista, you're absolutely right. Page 157 of my edition of the book says the GI values for porridge range from 42 (for rolled oats made with water) to 82 for instant oats.

'Friend' Google must always be examined critically :)

leon20, Mar 22, 3:20am
I love porridge too and brought some oats from an organic shop $6. 00 but very yummy. I cook on the stove pot 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water and salt. I dont stir it and it is ready straight after coming to the boil. I love it! ! ! ! Sometimes I eat it on its own, somethimes I put a splash of cream on top with a squirt of golden syrup.

mango5, Mar 22, 3:32am
I make porridge every morning for the kids. I have ready in the crockpot set on a timer to start at 4. 30am and its ready by 7. 00am. I had never heard of putting condensed milk on top so tried it this morning. The kids were like "mmmm I smell white chocolate" and it went down quite well, but it got too sweet and most of them could not finish the porridge, so it started yummy, but too sweet. Might milk the condensed milk down tomorrow.

kiwi.adventures, Mar 22, 3:42am
Part of the joy of porridge I believe is its relative plain taste and texture. Its easy to go down but it feels hearty and good just on its own with no toppings, like how I have it!

Its an AWESOME food and Im feeling the LOVE for it and please feel free to share your love for it too, its HIGHLY underated in today sugar & marketing high worlds of Just Rights and Kellogs Special K's etc. It will always be a hard one to market porridge to a mass market but I believe it all starts young & at the home, once you make up some MEAN porridge for energy hungry kids (let them spoon heaps of sugar or stuff on it, they need it at school! ) it will never leave their brain and as they grow up, they WILL (like me, but perhaps not so nutty about it! ) will come back to it.

uli, Mar 22, 4:31am
And that is why sailors love it - if the weather gets rough and they all hang onto the sea fence calling their long lost friend "roulf" - the porridge comes up just as easy as it goes down :)

kiwi.adventures, Mar 22, 5:07am
Actually, it keeps things down so Ive found in personal experience giving it to landlubbers while out sailing. Its a good breakfast anywhere but surely, if it needs to come back up, its not hard and dont hurt.

elliehen, Mar 22, 8:03am
For cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, porridge is top of the list as an ANTI-nausea food.

ccoffee, Mar 22, 10:00am
1/4 C of rolled oats, straight into the plate.
A pinch of salt
cover with boiling water
2 1/2 min in the microwave on about 6.

no need for a porrige pot. (not a huge quantity if you have a big appetite, but it keeps me going all day if I'm too busy to have lunch till late afternoon. )

maandpa2b, Mar 23, 12:34am
yep, we have it nearly every day. I use 1 cup of milk and the rest water when cooking. I put a teaspoon of honey into each bowl and pour the hot porridge over. Stir the honey in and serve with dash of milk (full cream milk only in this house! )... oh so yummmmy and the kids really love it too

kiwi.adventures, Mar 23, 2:16am
loving the 'full cream milk only' comment! good stuff, seriously, porridge is gorgeous if you make a creamy version of it, its soooooooooooooo gooooood. unfortunately missed my lunch chance of porridge today, but come dinner time... . . ching ching!

mango5, Mar 23, 2:57am
the condensed milk on porridge is starting to warm on me... . . will keep using it I think.

kiwi.adventures, Mar 23, 4:09am
im not a condensed milk fan but hey if it floats your guys boats then go for it! thought it would make it far too sweet? does it melt in and make it nice and creamy?

buzzy110, Mar 23, 4:33am
Nooooo mango. I was talking with my tongue firmly in my check. Oh I hope you are too. I didn't see any emicon. What have I done?

st_allie, Mar 23, 4:52am
As a child I liked to drip circles of honey on top with a spoon and wait for the prridge to cool a bit. . then slide milk around the edges so the porridge 'floats' in the milk. We never added sugar or salt. Now I'm older, I prefer it without milk, however, I add a handful of dried cranberries and swirl some low fat plain yoghurt through it instead.

elliehen, Mar 23, 6:33am
I have even heard that real porridge aficionados, for a change, sometimes let the porridge get cold and solid, cut it in squares and fry it!

amsandlant, Mar 23, 7:37am
Nestle sent me a "recipe" for making your own creamoata when they discontinued it - chuck three cups of rolled oats in a food processor and process on high for approx 4 mins for medium ground and approx 8 mins for fine ground. They recommended 3 cups minimum as they processes more quickly if there's a decent quantity.

kiwi.adventures, Mar 23, 7:58am
YUMMMM1

kiwi.adventures, Mar 23, 10:56pm
Porridge time! ! ! ! ! ! & the news at 12!

kiwi.adventures, Mar 27, 4:18am
hmmmm have not had any porridge, time for some tonight maybe?