Porridge....so good, soooo good

Page 2 / 5
kiwi.adventures, Mar 11, 5:40am
YUM i just had it for dinner, fine oats & water, microwave 45 secs, stir, sprinkle with a little brown sugar, YUM

kiwi.adventures, Mar 13, 12:24am
mmmmmmm had it again

kiwi.adventures, Mar 13, 10:11pm
and going to for breakfast thsi morn too

daleaway, Mar 13, 11:05pm
Susan we have it with sultanas or raisins, too - or chopped dried apricots, instead of adding sugar. Dietitian recommended it.

eastie3, Mar 13, 11:44pm
I eat it year aound, in the warmer months I soak the oats overnight in the fridge with dried fruit and milk. Its a 'sort of, inspired by' Bircher meusli. Sometimes I add yoghurt. I give it 20secs in the microwave to take the chill off. That, and a good strong coffee keeps me going all morning.

kiwi.adventures, Mar 13, 11:54pm
its fantastic if you make it with water, its low fat, low calories, but the real benefit is that is really does keep you feeling full for atleast 4-5 hours I find, no snacking, great energy release, LOVE IT!

tinkerbell103, Mar 14, 1:30am
How many people would that serve please. .

buzzy110, Mar 14, 4:28am
How to make real porridge.

Take a hand full of oats, toss onto the floor and invite the dog to roll in them. Sweep them up and put them in the bowl with some of the Special Dishwater (as posted in the stack of... . thread). Put in some popping corn and whole fresh chillies. You can substitute dried or Kaitai Fire if you haven't any fresh in your garden. Microwave on high for at least 50minutes or for as long as it takes you to have a leisurely shower, blow dry your hair, iron your clothes, polish your shoes, get dressed and make a hot pot of steaming worm wee with soy milk.

The corn should have popped and blown your porridge right onto the table, where you will be able to enjoy it tipped over 6 Weetbix and a tin of Watties Baked Beans. Pour a Tui Tinnie into your fresh hot worm tea for extra, non-fat goodness.

Cook the baked beans in the microwave at the same time as you do your porridge.

Most of the ingredients used in this recipe are non-fat and come with the manufacturer paid for Heart Foundation tick.

You should read more and learn how to adapt recipes posted by the real chef's on this board.

loren8, Mar 14, 4:42am
We love it in our house, brings back memories of us 6 kids fighting over the top off the milk bottle! !

buzzy110, Mar 14, 4:48am
Those were the days weren't they? Did you fight for the silver or blue bottle top. I never bothered myself. My brother always got the silver lids because my mother loved him best. If we still had bottled milk the silver bottle top could have been easily added to your porridge to give it a nice sparkly, tinfoil effect. I would have recommended cutting the lid into tiny pieces so that no one had to fight for it but, hey, that's just me - always fair.

darlingmole, Mar 14, 4:49am
buzzy ~ it sounds kind of plain sorry with out the trademe favourite of condensed milk ... actually it sounds out-right *common* without it!

uli, Mar 14, 5:02am
Now that got me thinking - maybe we could use a frypan to spice things up a bit ... or some other receptacle?

bedazzledjewels, Mar 14, 5:10am
And who remembers the porridge pot left to soak - Yuck!

buzzy110, Mar 14, 5:46am
Exactly. I cannot believe I forgot condensed milk. I think the poster who recommended that Nestles start selling it in 44gal drums is right on the button. There isn't one single meal that should go past without the addition of this wonderful foodstuff.

So I suggest that kiwi-adventurer learn to adapt to the kiwi lifestyle and remember that rolled oats are a Scottish food. To eat it here in Godzone it needs to be New Zealandised, not only with weetbix, baked beans, and Special Dishwater (this is a new invention by the way) but also sweetened condensed milk.

In fact, why not exclude the rolled oats altogether and use pixiegirl's pancakes. They'd make a much better breakfast and more yummy.

kiwi.adventures, Mar 14, 5:50am
what the f?

rubyjane11, Mar 14, 6:51am
x1
I eat porridge minus milk... . carn't stand drowning it in milk! ... . just a light sprinkle of brown sugar

uli, Mar 14, 7:33am
kiwi. adventures and rubyjane11 you MUST try your lovely porridge with sweetened condensed milk tomorrow! You don't know what you are missing ...

buzzy110, Mar 14, 9:56pm
Yes kiwi. adventures. You really must try yours with sweetened condensed milk. It is the best thing to add to your low fat porridge. Way better than honey, sugar, raisins or any of those other inferior suggestions.

Sweetened condensed milk has been nourishing NZ for just about ever. Most NORMAL NZ cooks have so many uses for sweetened condensed milk. Like weetbix and baked beans, it is both a sweet and savoury food that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch and dinner and be included in every course.

Do this and you will learn to stop using implied bad language as well.

buzzy110, Mar 14, 9:59pm
Christmas is also the time when sweetened condensed milk comes into its own. There are recipes including sweetened condensed for every conceivable Xmas food, from breakfast to the last bedtime snack. No Xmas would be complete without it.

By having it on your porridge you can have Xmas every day. Yummo.

uli, Mar 15, 2:50am
Another porridge lover:

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/cold-porridge-diet-rower-341

kiwi.adventures, Mar 15, 8:02am
swetened condensed milk is all sticky, all its good for is making another favourite, LOLLY CAKE!

uli, Mar 15, 8:39am
Nah - just pour it over your porridge - so much easier and no more work involved ... why go to the extent of LOLLY CAKE - if just opening a tin and pouring it over will suffice ... ?

goldengirl3, Mar 15, 8:44am
HHHMMmmm love it! ! ! So yummy! ! ! I make it with water and full cream milk... . . And toped with cream and raw or brown suger... . . Kids love it ex in winter :D

homelygirl0011, Mar 15, 9:02am
I was brought up on milk oatie's, has any one tried maori porridge, i thing its made from flour mixed with water, and cooked in cream.

korbo, Mar 15, 6:05pm
mmmm. outta bed now, and into the kitchen to make some porridge. thanks for the info. really interesting. goldengirl, i'm with you. no other way to eat porridge, tho may try the cond millk... .