Help, I need your best ever coffee cake recipe

angel21_01, Mar 18, 5:18am
please please help me i have to make one for the father in law and need a great coffee cake recipe

jessie981, Mar 18, 5:30am
Pop into the lefthand message board & key in coffee cake where it says keyword. In space date posted put anytime. Choices there.

rainrain1, Mar 18, 5:40am
Here's a Coffee Roll Recipe....it's delicious and easy
Beat 5 egg whites stiffly and add 1 large breakfastcup of sugar and the 5 yolks.When creamy, add 1 large cup flour, 1/2 teasp baking powder and 2 Tblsp coffee essence.Cook on oven tray on baking paper.Roll up as soon as possible, When cool unroll and add filling.
Filling....cream all well together
4 Tblsp butter
2 Tblsp coffee essence
175gr icing sugar

sclaredy_cat, Mar 18, 8:05am
Can't go past coffee essence can you? Coffee cake never tastes right without it IMHO...here is my sister's recipe:

Rachel's Easy Coffee Cake

170g flour
2 tsp BP
1 c sugar
Sift these into a bowl. Melt 60 g butter into a measuring cup. Add 2 eggs then fill cup with milk. (you need 1 cup liquid all up) Tip this into dry ingredients and mix for 2 minutes. Add 1 tbsp coffee essence and beat some more until well combined, Bake 1/2 hour in ring tin - I usually double this mixture for a large cake because it goes fairly quickly!
Edited to add - make buttercream with coffee essence and ice the top, or fill the cake with it when cold :)

kinna54, Mar 18, 8:50am
Old Edmonds book, still the best one around.

elliehen, Mar 18, 9:45am
Do you mean a cake with coffee flavouring, or a cake to have with coffee?

charlieb2, Mar 18, 10:12am
My whole family LOVE this one...

The worlds best Coffee Cake…. YUMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

2/3 cup canola or rice bran oil
1 1/4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup yoghurt, plain unsweetened
2 eggs
1 tbsp instant coffee mixed with 1 tbsp boiling water
1 cup walnut pieces
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
Extra 1/3 cup walnut halves, to decorate
COFFEE ICING
75g butter, softened
1 2/3 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
1. Heat oven to 160°C fan bake. Grease well a 22cm bundt or ring cake tin.
2. Place oil, sugar, yoghurt, eggs and coffee mixture in a bowl. Beat to combine. Fold in the walnuts and sifted flour until just combined.
3. Pour mixture into prepared tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in tin, then turn out.

sarahj1, Mar 18, 7:10pm
Yes -in NZ we usually mean a coffee-flavoured cake but in the US it means a buttery cake often with a crunchy topping served with coffee....

gardie, Mar 19, 12:29am
Made charlieb2's cake this morning for visitors - we all loved it.I'll definately be adding this one to my repertoire.Only cooked it for 40 mins though and I think next time, I'll start checking after 35.Came away from edge of tin nicely.(I used sour cream in place of yoghurt which worked well). Also turned out after about 5mins.

dilligaf_dah, Mar 20, 4:42am
bump so i can find it quicker to write out the recipe

darlingmole, Jun 27, 3:39am
bumping~!

quinn10, Jul 10, 6:25am
COFFEE CLOUD SPONGE CAKE
1 tbsp. instant coffee
1 c. boiling water
2 c. sifted flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 egg whites (3/4 c.)
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 c. sugar
6 egg yolks (1/2 c.)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Dissolve coffee in boiling water, or use 1 cup strong coffee; cool. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in large bowl at high speed until very soft mounds begin to form; add 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, and continue beating until very stiff, straight peaks form when beater is raised - do not underbeat. Set aside.
Beat egg yolks in large mixer bowl until blended; gradually add sugar and vanilla and beat at high speed until thick and lemon coloured, 4-5 minutes. Add dry ingredients alternately with cooled coffee, beginning and ending with dry ingredients; blend thoroughly after each addition. With electric mixer, use low speed. Fold yolk mixture 1/4 at a time into stiff egg whites; fold about 15 strokes after each addition. After last addition, continue folding just until evenly blended.
Pour into ungreased 10 inch tube pan and cut through batter 3-4 times to remove large air bubbles. Bake in 350 degree oven 60-70 minutes. Invert immediately and cool in pan at least 1 hour. Frost and sprinkle with more chopped nuts, if desired.
Coffee Icing: Cream 2 tablespoons butter; blend in 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee; cream well. Gradually add 2 tablespoons plus 2-3 teaspoons milk until of spreading consistency.

tjnp5laqmcmk, Jul 14, 1:18pm
LOOKS YUMMY!! And your Site looks so wonderful, you are to aristtic Sandra. Thank you so much for your prayers for Mila. They worked!! I have posted an update for her on my blog. Looks like this "Ugly bug is going around.."how are you feeling today friend?? My thoughts are right back at YOU and hope to hear from you:-))Love, Jeannene