Healty BlackBerry Jam !

hare1, Mar 13, 8:26am
I have access to lots of organic blackberries and would like to make some jam.Have made smoothies,muffins,frozen them ect.My problem is all the recipes I have read are loaded with sugar which I dont want.Can you do it with the likes of Splenda a sweetner ect?TIA.

jessie981, Mar 13, 8:44am
Off Google

Recipe for Sugar-Free Blackberry Jam
Combine fresh or frozen berries and water (1/4 cup per cup of berries for not/Sugar and 1/3 cup for gelatin). Bring to a boil and cook berries for 4 to 5 minutes. Mash the berries against the side of the pot to break them down (or you can use a potato masher or stick blender). Whisk in thickener in amounts as described above. Spoon into clean freezer-safe containers, and cool.

hare1, Mar 13, 8:52am
Thanks jessie that sounds nice and easy for me.Thankyou.

cgvl, Mar 13, 11:40am
have a look in the diabetic baking thread on here, there are some jam recipes on it not sure if there is a berry one though.

lakestar, Mar 13, 8:14pm
you could use stevia to sweeten. or just use much less sugar. Jam has a legal description that requires nearly 50% sugar. If it has less sugar t must be described as conserve. So try googling around that word.

nauru, Mar 13, 11:10pm
You can also make freezer jam, adding pectin in powder or liquid form. I have a recipe which I use if you want it, or you couldGoogle for Freezer jam recipe.

hare1, Mar 14, 2:18am
Thankyou everyone,Lots of great ideas.I will google the freezer one.Thanks.

pickles7, Mar 14, 5:20am
Yes, there is regulations on the sugar. Less sugar and the product will not keep well, and will need to be refrigerated. Jam on the other hand will keep in your pantry.

hare1, Mar 14, 8:26am
I have access to lots of organic blackberries and would like to make some jam.Have made smoothies,muffins,frozen them ect.My problem is all the recipes I have read are loaded with sugar which I dont want.Can you do it with the likes of Splenda a sweetner ect!TIA.