Blackberry recipes please

lizid11, Mar 4, 11:51pm
My blackberry plant has been fantastic this year. Need your favourite recipe to make something other than jam :)

valentino, Mar 4, 11:55pm
Feijoa and Blackberry Crumble

feijoas 1.5kg, flesh scooped out and roughly chopped
blackberries 1 cup fresh or frozen
liquid honey 2 tablespoons
orange zest of ½
Juice of an orange
brown sugar ½ cup
fine rolled oats ¾ cup
ground almonds ¾ cup
butter 50g, diced
ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon
baking powder 1 teaspoon
salt pinch of

Preheat oven to 180 degC/355 Fahrenheit.
Combine feijoas, blackberries, honey, orange zest and juice
in a medium-sized baking dish.
Combine brown sugar, rolled oats, ground almonds, butter,
cinnamon powder, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
Rub the butter into the mixture with your finger tips, until it resembles breadcrumbs. Spoon crumble topping over the feijoa blackberry mixture.
Bake until the topping is golden and crunchy, 30-40 minutes.
Serve crumble with yoghurt, ice-cream or whipped cream.

valentino, Mar 5, 12:03am
Blackberries can be frozen and used anytime.
Also homemade jam is great, simply gives a more flavoursome finish.

Here is a top recipe ( family favourite Christmas Pudding ) mainly suitable for use of frozen berries.

Blackberry Pudding

3 eggs
½ cup caster sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
¾ cup self-raising flour
1 tsp butter
¼ cup boiling water
1/3 cup caster sugar extra
½ cup water
300g frozen blackberries
500g frozen mixed berries
¼ cup blackberry jam.

Preheat oven to 180c.
Grease 25cm X 30cm swiss roll dish, line with baking paper.
Beat eggs in small bowl with electric beaters until thick and creamy.
Gradually add sugar – 1 tbsp at a time beating until sugar dissolves between each addition.
Transfer to large bowl.
Fold triple – sifted flours into the egg mixture.
Pour combined butter and boiling water down side of bowl, fold into mixture.
Pour mixture into baking dish, bake uncovered about 15 minutes.
Turn onto wire rack to cool.
Meanwhile, place extra sugar and water in medium saucepan, bring to the boil.
Stir in fruit, return to the boil.
Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until fruit thaws.
Strain over medium bowl, reserve liquid and berries separately.
Line a 1-litre (4 cup) pudding basin with plastic wrap, extending wrap 10cm over side of basin.
Cut a circle of cake slightly smaller than top edge of basin. Cut another circle the same size as the base of basin. Cut remaining cake into 10cm pieces, place small circle into base of basin and use pieces to line the side of basin. Pour 2/3 cup of the reserved syrup into small jug, reserve.
Fill basin with berries, cover with remaining syrup, top with large cake circle.
Cover pudding with overhanging plastic wrap, weight pudding with saucer, refrigerate 5 hours or overnight.
Stir jam and 2 tbsp of reserved syrup in small saucepan until heated through.
Turn pudding onto serving plate, brush with remaining reserved syrup then jam mixture. Serve with whipped cream or a nice creamy white sauce.

kiwicrown, Mar 5, 12:41pm
Oh wow sound good, but I only got about 8 berries off mine this year, don't think I can stretch them that far

eljayv, Mar 5, 10:34pm
Mine are too sour not sweet like wild ones.

fifie, Mar 6, 1:17am
Freeze a few if spare, then put some in container sprinkle with quite a bit of icing sugar sit in fridge overnight they thaw with a thick syrup for desserts, icecream, yoghurt etc. Good from freezer to put in muffins, slices, or make puddings in winter.

nauru, Mar 9, 7:33am
Our tresspassing blackberry bush has done well too this year and I am still picking them. I have been freezing them in portions for making pies/crumbles etc. at a later date when I have more time.

pickles7, Mar 10, 12:20am
Ours are sour as well, we have a thornless vine, very heavy cropper. A friend has the prickly vine and hers are very nice, her vine is finished fruiting well before mine even starts to ripen.

juliewn, Mar 13, 9:31am
Eljayv and pickles. in case it's of help. mine are quite tart until the day after they look ripe. I pick, eat, preserve, freeze etc after that. with sweet blackberries.

juliewn, Mar 13, 9:31am
From NZ Gardener's Lynda Hallinan's site. she included in her email that this recipe is great with blackberries too. I'm going to make some - I've frozen 4kg of blackberries so far from my thornless plant. and will make some of the cordial, preserving it in jars and bottles with sealed pop-tops so it'll keep.

http://lyndahallinan.com/category/berries/

Ingredients: 500g raspberries, fresh or frozen; 500g sugar; 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Method: Place the berries, sugar and vinegar in a small pot with a couple of tablespoons of water. Heat gently, mashing until juicy, for 10 minutes, but don't boil. (If you boil it, you'll end up with jam.) Strain the liquid through
a sieve, pressing the pulp with a spoon to extract all the juice. Then mix the sieved pulp with 1 cup boiling water, bring to a simmer, and strain again. Discard pulp. (By doing this, you'll end up with very little seedy waste) Return liquid to the pot; simmer for 2 minutes, then bottle. Keep in the fridge.

. she includes:
One of the pleasures of making your own cordials is that you know exactly what's in them (no artificial flavours or sweeteners, for starters). You can also make them as sweet or as sour as you like, and dilute them to your liking with water or sparkling soda water (or champagne for special occasions).

My Mum, Marjorie, isn't a hugely keen gardener but she sure has the knack with raspberries. She has a big wild bed of dual-cropping 'Aspiring’ raspberries (as well as grapes and blueberries) in an old shadecloth-covered grow house. Mum freezes at least 10kg of berries each year, enough to supply us all with jam, raspberry shortcakes and this lovely cordial. You can also use this, undiluted, as a wonderful zingy berry sauce for ice cream sundaes or drizzled over a fresh fruit salad.

popeye333, Dec 28, 10:03am
We are getting 2/3rds of an ice cream container every 4th day at the mo,. from our thornless vines. They are huge fat sweet ones this year.

I freeze them for later. MrP loves blackberry jelly and jam, but I only make small amounts at a time.
He also loves blackberry and apple pies.