Blackberry Jam - what can I cook with it?

tielfan, Feb 11, 4:23am
I've still got several jars of last years Blackberry Jam.It's whole fruit jam and the kids have decided they like smooth stuff so I've focussed on smooth jam this year.Now I need to use up the existing jam.I've Googled and still haven't got a clue what to use it for - besides jam tarts of course.Anyone have any ideas.

Husband has vetoed all further jam and chutney making as we've got nearly 200 jars filled of pickles, chutney, jams and roasted red peppers and it's not getting eaten.Opps.I just like making the stuff and I've given a heap of it away.

whitehead., Feb 11, 4:27am
warm it till runny and seive it then use for a fruit topping on icecream you could add to apples just a couple and dont tell the kids just change the name

nunesy, Feb 11, 4:27am
Louise slice uses jam (lots of recipes via google). use it to fill a cake, ie slice through the middle, thickly spread with jam, and whipped cream, makes a really simple vanilla or chocolate cake a little bit gourmet.Heat to make it a bit runny (if it is solid) and drizzle over homemade choc brownies.Cut brownies into irregular triangles, drizzle with the jam, serve with vanilla custard or whipped cream. I do this for dessert when I don't have much time and get lots of raves.

nunesy, Feb 11, 4:29am
Note: 200 jars - I'm so very impressed!You could also sell them at a local carboot sale etc, or give away as gifts. I do, but don't often get homemade stuff given to me.So nice to get, for any occasion, in my opinion!

punkinthefirst, Feb 11, 4:42am
Louise cake, Albert Squares,(both in the Edmonds cookbook) Use instead of apple in a shortcake, old fashioned English Cheesecakes (pastry bottom, jam, then cake mixture in a patty pan), use in the bottom of a sponge pudding, make a luxe version of bread and butter pudding by putting jam on the bread as well as butter.(you can cut back on the sugar), stick melting moments and other biscuits together with it, mix it with apple to make a blackberry and apple pie, use as a filling (with cream or without) in the centre of a sponge roll or cake. Sieve the seeds out if you have a lot of it and give it a reboil to kill any bugs you may have introduced, before rebottling in clean jars.

tielfan, Feb 11, 5:25am
Erm - yes we are down to about 200 jars now.At one stage everyone who was visiting was going home with at least four jars of assorted preserves.The standing joke is that if we have a natural disaster all the people I know will be making for my pantry as they can survive on my stocks for weeks.You can't sell anything up here in Kapiti unless it's been manufactured in a commerical kitchen, otherwise the kindy fete would have had a stall full of my donated stock.

I'm going to try all the recipes suggested.Now I'm back on a pure foods eating plan, I can't touch it but the kids will eat most things if anything with pips has been disguised.

razell, Feb 11, 8:40am
Put at the bottom of steam pudding; mix with plain yogurt.

katalin2, Feb 11, 9:58am
tielfan wrote:
Erm -The standing joke is that if we have a natural disaster all the people I know will be making for my pantry as they can survive on my stocks for weeks.

Well, that was the standing joke in our family too- but after the September and February quakes a huge proportion of my preserves, chutneys and jams broke- huge mess to clean up in the pantry, especially in February when we had no water. Believe me, cleaning up broken glass and sticky jam and pickle mess using facial wipes and janola wipes and newspaper with limited drinking water we could spare is not a lot of fun. We now have curtain wire in front of all the shelves in the pantry.

seniorbones, Feb 11, 10:18am
Blackberry and Ricotta tarts.makes 24 small. 2 sheets ready rolled sweet short crust pastry, 2 eggs beaten, 250gms ricotta, 1/4 cup caster sugar, 1 tsp grated lemon zest, 1/2 cup jam, Icing sugar.preheat oven to 165oC and cut pastry into rounds to fit a small tartlet baking tray (or mini muffin tins) beat the ricotta in a bowl then add sugar, lemon and eggs and mix well. spoon ricotta mix into the pastry shells, top with jam and bake for 40 mins in lower part of oven. When cool dust with icing sugar and serve!