Can Golden Syrup sub for Molasses

scroogeus, Mar 3, 12:22am
I have a BBQ sauce recipe that has Molasses which I don't have, wondered if golden syrup could be a substitute.

elliehen, Mar 3, 12:29am
Molasses is darker and has a slightly bitter taste, but it is still a sugar derivative so should work.

scroogeus, Mar 3, 12:33am
Thanks, would you cut back ammount?

elliehen, Mar 3, 12:42am
If you're making a large quantity to bottle and keep, I'd wait and buy the molasses because you will get the real BBQ flavour.If you can't wait, why not make just a small quantity and see if you like it?It's a lot of work to do if you're likely to be disappointed at the result.

beaker59, Mar 3, 3:31am
try a very dark muskovardo sugar though it will be allot sweeter than Molasses or Treacle which is half Molasses half golden syrup. Golden syrup would be just toooo sweet.

scroogeus, Mar 3, 4:47am
I think buy themolasses and make it the right way is the answer, cheers

ant_sonja, Mar 3, 5:38am
I suggest buying the molasses first- the flavour really is quite a bit different to golden syrup and BBQ sauce in particular wouldn't taste the same if the recipe asks for it :-)

scroogeus, Mar 4, 12:22am
I have a BBQ sauce recipe that has Molasses which I don't have, wondered if golden syrup could be a substitute.

scroogeus, Mar 4, 12:33am
Thanks, would you cut back ammount!

elliehen, Mar 4, 12:42am
If you're making a large quantity to bottle and keep, I'd wait and buy the molasses because you will get the real BBQ flavour.If you can't wait, why not make just a small quantity and see if you like it!It's a lot of work to do if you're likely to be disappointed at the result.

ant_sonja, Mar 4, 5:38am
I suggest buying the molasses first- the flavour really is quite a bit different to golden syrup and BBQ sauce in particular wouldn't taste the same if the recipe asks for it :-)