Golden syrup ?

afer_daily, Feb 8, 5:39am
golden syrup and treacle . are they the same thing or what ? thanks .

luckyduck, Feb 8, 5:44am
Different, one is darker than the other and less sweet

245sam, Feb 8, 6:23am
afer_daily, golden syrup and treacle are different as can be seen from the following info' which is from:-

http://www.chelsea.co.nz/

"Chelsea Golden Syrup in the iconic tin is the original recipe since 1884. It is the Golden Syrup that should be used for baking as it has a thicker consistency and richer caramel flavour than our Easy Pour Golden Syrup, which is more suited to use as a topping.

Golden Syrup is the perfect baking ingredient for adding moisture, colour and lovely fudgey caramel flavours. Gingernuts, Brandy Snaps and Anzac Biscuits are just a few examples of how golden syrup can be used to produce a deliciously rich, distinctive flavour result.

Available in:
1kg Tin
Nutrition Information:
Serving size: 7g (1 level teaspoon)

Like Golden Syrup, Treacle is ideal for creating moist, flavoursome cakes and biscuits. Treacle has a richer colour and a stronger flavour to Golden Syrup and is not quite so sweet. You can use it to replace Golden Syrup in many recipes but it is often used alongside Golden Syrup in recipes such as in our Old English Gingerbread.

Available in:
1kg Tin
Nutrition Information:
Serving size: 7g (1 level teaspoon)

Hope that helps.:-))

duckmoon, Feb 8, 6:47am
Interesting that they say that golden syrup and golden syrup easy-pour are different.

Years ago, I phoned Chelsea and asked if they were different products, and was told they were the same, but packaged differently

245sam, Feb 8, 6:55am
duckmoon, IMO the easy-pour version MUST be at least slightly different because the good-old version sure wasn't and isn't what I would call 'easy-pour'.
Wonder what they do to make one easy pour??I see that it is.....

"Lighter in both colour and taste than the Chelsea Golden Syrup Tin, the Chelsea Golden Syrup Easy Pour has a more subtle caramel flavour. Because of the lighter flavour and consistency it is not always recommended for baking. The easy pour consistency makes it more versatile, use as a spread on toast, as a topping on ice cream, desserts, crumpets, waffles and pancakes or even as a flavouring in your favourite sauces, glazes, marinades and Asian dishes.

Available in:
540g Bottle
Nutrition Information:
Serving size: 7g (1 level teaspoon)":-))

afer_daily, Feb 8, 7:29am
i have found an old 1950 srecipe for worcestrshire sauce that says treacle as one of the engredients ..so im going to give it a go and see how it turns out .. thanks all ..

kuaka, Feb 8, 7:49am
is it an old NZ recipe or an old UK one?If it's a UK one, then it is possible they are requiring you to use Fowlers Treacle, which believe me, is almost coal black, and totally different from what NZrs refer to as treacle.In the UK, golden syrup is just that - very golden - when you open a 1kg tin of Lyles Golden syrup in the UK, it is so clear and golden that you can actually see the tin at the bottom of the can - having said that, I don't even know if Lyles golden syrup is still marketed.It used to be absolutely scrummy.

elliehen, Apr 2, 11:56am
If you want your regular Golden Syrup tin to be easy-pour, just stand it in hot water.For measuring in spoonsful, stand the spoon in hot water first before dipping.