Biscuits for school lunches...

tania209, Feb 20, 12:31am
...whats your kids favs?Apart from the usual choc chips and shortbread......I'm so sick of baking the same thing! (I know - it's only February!)

cgvl, Feb 20, 12:57am
anzac's.
almond biscuits but instead of putting an almond on top make an indentation with your thumb and full with jam before baking. Takes about ¼ tsp jam for each one.
vanilla biscuits
peanut brownies (if not allergic to peanuts)
yo yoes
rice bubble squares or make but add dried fruit, coconut, nuts and choc chips for a muesli bar like square.
also make slices like ginger crunch. club fudge, louise cake or similar. favourite is the ginger crunch.

cgvl, Feb 20, 1:00am
Club Fudge Recipe.
melt in a large pot
170g butter and 25g (1Tbsp) golden syrup
Remove from heat and Stir in the following
1 cup icing sugar
1 cup coconut
1Tbsp cocoa powder
2 cups flour
press into a 23cm square tin and bake in moderate oven (170-180C) for 10 -15 mins. Ice if desired with chocolate icing.

lizab, Feb 20, 1:36am
Cowboy Cookies - these are great and the recipe makes heaps oif bikkies that can be gladwrapped individually and frozen for lunchboxes. The recipe calls for 3 sticks of butter, which converts to 341g by the way. My husband doesn't like nuts, so you could add something else (fruit, white choc buttons etc)

http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2010/08/30/cowboy-cookies/

buzzy110, Feb 20, 2:19am
The Edmond's cookbook is groaning with biscuit recipes and they are all pretty much made using the method you use for the two varieties you do bake so not even a stretch on your cooking skills.

robyn35, Feb 20, 2:32am
my boys are loving the instant pudding biscuits that someone posted on here, easy to make and so easy to change the flavour by adding a different instant pudding each time they are made

magenta, Feb 20, 3:14am
These are my children's favourites
OATMEAL BISCUITS200g softened butter, 1c brown sugar, ½ c white sugar,1 egg, 2 tbs water, 2tsp vanilla, 2/3c flour, ¾ tsp baking soda, 1tsp cinnamon, 3c rolled oats, 1cup (or more!) choc chips.
Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and beat again, then add vanilla and water and mix in. Add the rest and mix well. Drop in small tablespoons on baking paper lined trays. . Bake at 180c for 12-15mins. Makes 30 -40.

WANAKA GINGERNUTS. 100g butter, 225g sugar, 1 egg, 1 tbsp golden syrup, 250g flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 3 tsp ground ginger. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg and syrup. Beat again, then add the sifted dry ingredients. Roll into balls and place on baking paper on a baking tray. Do not flatten. Bake for about 30 minutes until well baked and deep golden. Cool on a rack before storing in an airtight container. Makes about 2 dozen. The mixture is easily doubled.

Both types keep very well in the freezer

lx4000, Feb 20, 3:19am
Cheese Muffins/Puffs
2 eggs
water
1 C Grated Cheese
1 C veggies (courgettes, corn, caps, onion with tomato on top)
pinch Salt
2 C Flour
3 tspn BP
1/4 tspn Cayenne Pepper if wished
Break eggs into 1 measuring C then fill with water, then add another 1 C water. Mix.
Add veggies and cheese then mix.
Stir in salt, flour, cayenne pepper, BP until just mixed.
Spoon into muffin tins.
20 mins approx at 180.

sarahj1, Feb 20, 9:36pm
Love the sound of this recipe but how do you get around the sweetened flaked coconut issue in NZ ? Have you found a source for it here?- I have lots of US cookbooks and always skip recipes with this ingredient.I bought a packet back from the US once and rationed it out but it is long gone!

lx4000, Feb 20, 9:57pm
so coconut will not work in that rtecipe? Why not?

sarahb5, Nov 27, 3:44am
Easiest biscuits in the world to make would have to be Anzac cookies and my kids love them but mine actually prefer cake or muffins in their lunch box because biscuits tend to get broken.I also prefer to give them things which don't adhere to their teeth quite as much as some of the stickier slices like muesli.