Bacon & Egg Pie 'HELP'

Page 1 / 2
starfish18, Feb 13, 1:35am
What is the secret to making the bottom of the pie cook?Should I be using a special sort of dish?Mine never cook on the bottom.

pennyze, Feb 13, 1:42am
I always sprinkle a little grated chees omto bottom pastry. Do that with my little savories too.

petal1955, Feb 13, 2:46am
A glass dish helps alot.........

caroline66, Feb 13, 2:59am
I blind bake mine first.

harrislucinda, Feb 13, 3:21am
sameheretherewasthishintonhereawhileback anditworks

greerg, Feb 13, 3:24am
Heat an oven tray when you are heating the oven and put the pie dish on the hot tray.

wasgonna, Feb 13, 3:26am
Heat up oven with a nice heavy oven tray, if you have one. When correct temperature for pie place it on the heated tray. The concentrated heat in the tray will help cook the base more, without overcooking the rest of it.

jayancee, Feb 13, 3:38am
Yup to greerg and wasgonna!

darlingmole, Feb 13, 5:18am
Anabelle langbein reckons put a baking tray in the oven while it's heating up and THEN put your bacon'n'egg pie on top of that when cooking it - she reckons that this crisps up the bottom of the pie instead of having a soggy bottom.

Other people (my best mates Dad is a millionaire due to his bakeries so I'd have to believe this!) uses mashed potatoe flakes on the bottom layer of pastry ... no hurt giving both ideas a go eh??

starfish18, Feb 13, 7:06am
thanks everyone :-)

bridget107, Feb 12, 9:09pm
A glass dish definitely helps but also apart from the eggs.try not to use anything that is going to create too much liquid/extra juices when cooking.

lythande1, Feb 12, 9:35pm
Cool fillings.
Cheese on top - not bottom.
Cook lower in oven - cover the top.

tapman1, Feb 12, 9:45pm
Or you can do what i do. Put pastry on the top only. and fold in around the sides. I put sliced red onion in first, followed by the eggs with the pastry on top. When baked turn out with the pastry to the bottom. My version of a tarte tatin.

robyn35, Feb 12, 10:58pm
make it in a slice/cake tin, the metal kind.Glass can make the pastry stay soggy

kinna54, Feb 12, 11:17pm
+1. Positioning of the oven rack is important as well.
Also the tip re adding the touch ofcheese is good. (it doesn't affect the flavour)

starfish18, Feb 13, 1:35am
What is the secret to making the bottom of the pie cook!Should I be using a special sort of dish!Mine never cook on the bottom.

petal1955, Feb 13, 2:46am
A glass dish helps alot.

harrislucinda, Feb 13, 3:21am
sameheretherewasthishintonhereawhileback anditworks

morticia, Feb 13, 3:58am
Oh YUM!

fisher, Feb 13, 4:25am
5 eggs whisked with a little cream, salt, pepper and fine chopped fresh sage. Pre fried onions layered over pricked bottom. then bacon chunks. and pour over the egg mixture.crack 5 eggs on top and prick with toothpick.little more salt and pepper and on with the top.seal edges with a fork. use little egg mixture to coat the top of the pastry. and make pretty bows for sweetie pie wifey.:}200 for 15 mins. then 165 for another 10 mins.or until nicely browned.you dont have to use 10 eggs really just I wanted to use these ones up. 8 is good.:}}

fisher, Feb 13, 4:31am
OH and Pyrex dish.sprayed. pastry and base pricked all over. trick is > have everything ready before filling. could have used some pre grated tasty cheese but didn't bother. centre of oven and base came out good.

darlingmole, Feb 13, 5:18am
Anabelle langbein reckons put a baking tray in the oven while it's heating up and THEN put your bacon'n'egg pie on top of that when cooking it - she reckons that this crisps up the bottom of the pie instead of having a soggy bottom.

Other people (my best mates Dad is a millionaire due to his bakeries so I'd have to believe this!) uses mashed potatoe flakes on the bottom layer of pastry . no hurt giving both ideas a go eh!

pickles61, Feb 13, 6:44am
I always cook mine on very high onthe lowest rack for about 20mins then just fan bake it at a lower heat till golden on top.Never had a soggy bottom of pie bottom yet .

nik12, Feb 13, 12:05pm
starfish, how do you do your's! I've seen lots of questions about this on here and it always makes me wonder.
I do it like my Mum and Nana did, but they always used an expandable metal dish.I do it in a metal sponge roll tin, or a temuka lasanga dish.I put pastry on the bottom, put some bacon in, crack the eggs in, and a bit more bacon on the top - salt and pepper and pastry on top (both top and bottom pastry get pricked).
The only thing I can think of is, we don't eat ours hot.So even if we eat it the day I make it, it sits in the tin for a while.
If we're not going to eat it that day it's straight in the fridge then bought out a wee tad before we eat (room temp).
Actually, just thought of something. when I do it in the tin, I line it with tinfoil (coz our tins are stuffed) could that be it!
Or, perhaps your version of cooked on the bottom is chrispy, but mine is 'cooked'!

otterhound, Feb 14, 1:19am
That's what I always use and have never had the pastry not cook properly underneath.