Full cream milk

sonyahare, Feb 11, 8:12pm
can someone explain to me what full cream milk is: is it cream or milk and what can i do with it in baking wise

nabbed, Feb 11, 8:19pm
full cream milk is silver top milk and is pastuerised not homogenised.It is milk that the cream will settle on the top.Homogenised milk has had the cream blasted into super tiny molecules so as to make the milk have a longer shelf life and the cream is said to enter your blood stream through your gut .full cream milk is what your Nana had not homogenised which is mostly all you can buy now

davidt4, Feb 11, 8:20pm
Full cream milk is whole milk with none of the fat taken out.Otherwise called "blue top" (which is homogenised) or "silver top" (which is not homogenised).Use it in any baking that calls for milk.It is much better than low fat milk or added calcium, or any of the other variations.

harrislucinda, Feb 11, 11:36pm
bluetopisstillweakbestbuyinpurplecartoncalledfarmersmilk ? ifyou canstillgetithavenoproblemhereasgetitstraightfrom thecow

cookessentials, Feb 12, 12:11am
Its the only milk I use...I buy the Zorganic milk. Full cream means that the cream content has not been removed, it's like how milk used to be when we were kids, before someone decided to muck about with it.

buzzy110, Feb 12, 12:13am
That is true. It is jolly difficult to buy ordinary (full cream milk) anymore. The purple carton (Framhouse) and organic Naturalea are the two most commonly available in supermarkets but you have to look. Our p-n-s has them both in a separate chiller and other p-ns's don't have full cream milk at all. I've seen 'silver' cartons but they are as rare as hen's teeth now too.

Lucky, lucky harrislucinda. Going green with envy here. One of the downfalls of living is a city is no access to a friendly, nearby farmer.

smileeah, Feb 12, 3:42am
I have an opportunity to buy some organic non-pasterised milk from a local source but I remember being told in the past that non-pasterised milk is not safe to drink. Any thoughts on this?

smileeah, Feb 12, 3:50am
Just googled it and came up with this http://www.realmilk.co.nz/ . I think I'll go ahead and order some.

cloudberry, Feb 12, 4:12am
If you have the opportunity to buy raw milk you are luckier than most of us! Get some as quickly as you can!

Edited to add that the people who are telling you raw milk isn't safe to drink are probably dairy industry spokesman who have a vested interest in keeping people from buying the real stuff.

harrislucinda, Feb 12, 4:17am
wellifthatistrueallfarmerswillbeeithersickbynowordead

harrislucinda, Feb 12, 4:19am
wellthoughtyouwouldlikesomedroppedoffinmy way to townbutjustseenwhereyoulivesorry

smileeah, Feb 12, 5:12am
lol Yes, I will!

cookessentials, Feb 12, 7:53am
I am lucky enough to get a few large pails from time to time and beautiful Jersey cream which makes lovely butter. Zany Zeus do the Zorganic milk, it's delicious.

lx4000, Feb 12, 8:50am
nothing nicer than fresh milk (from the cow, not the shop!!) on ya morning porridge!!mmMmm

cgvl, Feb 12, 9:11am
mmm fresh cows milk , loved getting a cupful straight from the cow, before it made it to the vat. nice warm milk too. Didn't happen often though as we weren't allowed in the vat area unsupervised.
Wish I knew someone down this way i could get some off, or baring cows milk, some fresh raw goats milk would do just fine too.