Dessert for 30 people

taurus2005, Feb 7, 9:37pm
Really appreciate ideas for easy, impressive desserts.Am planning a bbq for 30 people.A couple of desserts would be good.

ant_sonja, Feb 7, 9:57pm
A large fruit flan or two? Lots of gorgeous fruits in season now so would be ideal :-) As a second option, I would make Tiramisu.

marcoprincipal, Feb 7, 10:05pm
Ambrosia

lx4000, Feb 7, 10:51pm
dodgy76 wrote:

Carrot Cake recipe my parents used for their cafe as follows:

Preheat oven 180 degrees

3 eggs
1 1/2 c cooking oil
1 cup sugar
3 cups grated carrot
1 cup sultanas
1 pkt walnut pieces
1 t vanilla essence
1 cup pineapple or orange juice

Mix together in bowl add the following sifted dry ingrediants

3 cups flour
2 t baking powder
2 t baking soda
2 t cinnamon

Put into a lined dish, turn oven to 150 cook for 1 1/2 hours test.
Make sure cake is cold before spreading icing over.

Cream Cheese Icing

1 250gm cream cheese - soften or leave out to soften
150 gm butter - softened
1 t vanilla essence

Beat together to a smooth consistency add icing sugar approx 4 cups - beat until smooth you can add more icing sugar as you go this will increase the volume of your icing.

Smooth over top of cake add a scroggin mixture sprinkled over the top of cake. This is a never fail recipe and it is delicious.

1 cup of sugar to wet mix

lx4000, Feb 7, 11:03pm
make a few or double some slices! Always good and there are heaps of different types to cater for different tastes:)

indy95, Feb 7, 11:41pm
Large platters of fresh seasonal fruit and a couple of varieties of brownies or something like lemon syrup cake or plain vanilla cake cut into fairly small pieces with icing sugar sifted over just before serving.

ourbugaloo, Feb 7, 11:47pm
A quick and easy dessert for bbqs I have is a large platter of brandy snaps, and chocolate eclairs, also a platter of fresh fruit around the outside and bowl of chocolates in the middle....take 5min to throw these platters together, lol

alebix, Feb 8, 3:46am
a large cheese cake
large banoffie pie
apple pie
tubs of ice cream
jelly
ambrosia
fresh fruit salad
pavlova roll or
chocolate log

rema, Feb 8, 4:32am
Ix4000 - how big a cake tin - sounds delicious

creeky1, Feb 8, 5:12am
plum and apple crumble, vanilla ice cream and a pav.

roxursox, Feb 8, 5:19am
now this dessert I really like... nom nom nom

juliewn, Feb 8, 6:01am
A finger-food dessert works well for parties.. make in advance and freeze - remove them from the freezer early in the afternoon of the day of the party, place on pretty platters or plates.. cover with plastic wrap and they're ready to serve..

These freeze well - marshmallow shortcake, lamingtons, apple, or other fruit tarts.

Meringues can be made in advance and kept in an airtight container - when ready to serve, place them on a plate, in one layer. Place some whipped cream on top and some choccy chips, a strawberry half, slice of kiwifruit, etc..

taurus2005, Feb 11, 1:47am
Thanks people - great ideas.

duna1, Feb 11, 4:48am
I agree with creeky1...very easy to make

duckmoon, Feb 11, 7:01am
Nigella Lawson's Choc Cherry Trifle (google is your friend)
Paired with a pav...

No one complains about a pav (and it doesn't need fridgerating until it is creamed) - and the choc cherry trifle has a choc custard which will use up the egg yolks

kizilbaby, Feb 11, 2:24pm
fruit kababs with yoghurt and chocolate sauce as a side.

marcs, Feb 11, 4:49pm
cheesecake. Always impresses people.

liamjosh, Feb 11, 10:10pm
For a big crowd I always do a couple of chocolate brownies with a big bowl of ambrosia and some berries on the side.... always goes down well and never any left.

macandrosie, Feb 13, 5:05am
x1
Found this on Trade Me last year, it's great & goes a long way, you could serve with a little fruit salad on the side. Also it seems to get more moist after a day or two.
Easy Chocolate Cake
3.5 c flour
3.5 c sugar
3 t/s Baking powder
1.5 c cocoa
1 cup oil
2 cups milk
3 t/s baking soda
1 t/s salt
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups of boiling water (added at end)
Put all ingredients (except for the water) in a large bowl mix well to a batter. Add boiling water and mix till smooth. Pour mixture into greased, lined roasting pan & bake in the over at 160 for 1hr. This is an excellent cake if you have a large family or just want to impress people. Gets moister by the day so stays nice and fresh very similar to mud cake.

darlingmole, Feb 13, 5:15am
At this time of the year I'd be thinking VERY quick and easy ~ seasonal fruit platter with wee chocolate truffles (handmade/homemade obviously - have very easy recipe if you want it?) and cheese selection with crackers

elliehen, Feb 13, 5:17am
What is your recipe, please darlingmole?

tinkagirl, Feb 13, 7:07am
as lemons are plentiful at the moment make a lemon trifle.

4 lemons - juice and rind
3 eggs seperated
1 can of condensed milk
1/2 round sponge cut in half horizontal (so only half the bottom or top, then cut in half)
300 mls bottom of cream wiped
1 flake bar

mix egg yolks, milk, lemon juice and rind together.wipe the egg whites and fold into lemon mix - will come out like a mouse.

take the first half the the sponge and put in the bottom of a glass bowl.put half lemon mixture on top.put other half of sponge on top then top with the remainder of the lemon then top with wiped cream and a broken flake bar.

best made the day before and served chilled.
yummy

ubuthebirman, Apr 14, 4:46pm
i made the carrot cakeby dodgy76 , great recipe
Realized half way through making it, i didn't have the p/apple or orange juice so improvised and made up 1 cup with lemonade & lemon juice.
No mishaps, lovely, big cake. will make this one again