Baking without butter thread?

Page 3 / 3
uli, Feb 4, 7:44am
Ayayaye - do I discover some sort of cynicism there! :)

But rejoice beaker - soon we will all be low carb - simply because grains and sugar will be too expensive :)

http://tvnz.co.nz/business-news/un-warns-record-food-prices-4012827

and how healthy we all will be then. :)

bev00, Feb 4, 11:51am
too good to lose .

davidt4, Feb 4, 9:44pm
Mainland butter is on special for$2.99 at Supervalue this week.Maybe the boycott worked!Or perhaps everyone has been buying Lewis Road butter.

linette1, Feb 6, 2:18am
Uli I don't agree with your some of the things you post.
BUT thanks for posting this article and please help keeping us informed with more if you can.
Cheers.

linette1, Feb 6, 2:35am
And these toothanks

uli, Feb 7, 12:04am
linette1 - all this is available online - one only needs to have an interest in reality and you can find lots more.

Here is an interesting one from todays newspapers:

Start spreading the news - saturated fat isn't so bad

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm!c_id=6&objectid=10863929

".However, the new analysis of a study conducted in the late 1960s and early 1970s, some of the data from which had been missing for decades, has revealed that people who followed the standard advice and substituted margarine in place of butter died sooner than those who made no change to their diet."

Makes you wonder why "some of the data had been missing for decades" . or maybe not!

cookessentials, Feb 7, 12:45am
Made a lovely carrot cake last weekend which uses oil ( which is usual for carrot cakes) the lemon yoghurt cake also uses oil and is lovely and moist, keeps well and freezes beautifully.

kay141, Feb 7, 1:01am
Part of an article quoted again. The research was on safflower oil only, not all types of margarines and that has been suggested as one of the reasons it had limited publication at the time.Also there is difference between the product of today and that of 50 years ago.

uli, Feb 7, 3:32am
I answered a post from linette1 - I am sure she can make up her own mind.
As do I.

bev00, Mar 15, 9:44am
Café Neo’s Date Loaf ( it has no butter or oil in it)

2 1/2 cups SR flour ¾ cup brown sugar 2 1/2 cups bran flakes

2 Tbsp golden syrup, warmed (I use microwave)

3/4 cup each; sultanas, sliced almonds or walnuts (I like walnuts best!)

1/2 cup each; chopped apricots, chopped dates

1/4 tspn baking soda 2 1/2 cups cold milk

Preheat oven to 160C.

Grease and line a large loaf tin.

Mix the ingredients together in a large bowl. (Mix don’t beat.)

Pour into the prepared tin and bake for about 1 hour 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

(May take a slightly shorter time to bake. Won’t take any longer.)

Quoteboxsters3 (29 )6:48 pm, Thu 15 Mar #

asue, Mar 16, 8:42am
Coconut Loaf

Mix altogether in a bowl, 1 large cup of flour, 1 small cup of sugar, 1 cup coconut and 1 teaspoon Baking powder, add enough milk to make the mixture like a cake mixture, not too runny.Bake at 180 C in a greased loaf tin for 50-60 mins.Can be served sliced and plain or with butter.