Ancient and modern hedgehog recipes

gwboyle, Jan 26, 11:56am
Ancient recipe for roast hedgehog:

Gut one freshly killed hedgehog.

The animal should then be seasoned and prepared for cooking; pressed in a towel until dry, then either encased in clay or wrapped in grasses.

The meat should then be roasted and served with cameline sauce.

Modern "road kill" recipe for Hedgehog spaghetti carbonara (serves four)

500g spaghetti, 30ml olive oil, 250g lean hedgehog, 1 medium onion (chopped), 125ml water, 60ml dry white wine, 4 eggs, 60ml double cream, 100g grated parmesan cheese

• chop hedgehog into small chunks

• beat eggs and cream together in a bowl. Add half the parmesan cheese

• put pasta in boiling water

• put onions and hedgehog chunks in pan with olive oil on medium heat until onions are almost clear

• add wine and reduce heat

• drain pasta when cooked, combine it with egg, cream and cheese mix

• add meat, onions and wine without draining fat and mix thoroughly

• garnish with remaining parmesan

• serve immediately

paora-tm, Jan 26, 1:31pm
No way. They just look like they're riddled with disease. I'd rather eat cockroaches. You have a recipe for them?

lythande1, Jan 26, 6:39pm
Disease. LOL. Probably mange.
You know the most infectious, disease ridden animal in the world? Humans.

elliehen, Jan 26, 10:01pm
WHOLE ROASTED HEDGEHOG

Hedgehog should have its throat cut, be singed and gutted, then trussed like a pullet, then pressed in a towel until very dry, roasted, and eaten with cameline or wild duck sauce.

Note that if the hedgehog refuses to unroll, put it in hot water.

elliehen, Jan 26, 10:03pm
If you fancy a pigeon from the park or the town square, here's an authentic recipe from mediaevel times.

Peiouns ystewed.
Take peiouns and stop hem with garlec and with gode erbis ihewe, and do hem in an erthen pot; cast (th)erto gode broth and whyte grece, powder fort, safroun, verious & salt.

jbsouthland, Jan 27, 2:30am
Why not scoop up roadkill and throw in the slowcookeradd splash of wine , sliced onions. Yuk...!

lythande1, Jan 27, 3:27am
Some people do eat roadkill. So long as it's fresh, it's just another dead animal.

I have eaten pigeon. Wouldn't eat a hedgehog cause I like them.
But whats the difference? Cute little lambs are OK - other animals aren't?

olwen, Jan 27, 4:37am
In South America guinea pigs are food, here they are cute pets

falcon-hell, Jan 27, 4:40am
i spose if you cook it properly....anyway arent hedgehogs full of tb?

jessie981, May 16, 6:14am
LOL, went in here looking for Hedgehog biscuits! Couldn't imagine ayoe EVEN wantigto eat road kill

lythande1, May 16, 6:56am
No.
Plenyy of people are though.

retired, May 16, 7:00am
I saw some very strange things on skewers in China.... the only thing I was wiling to try was sea snake!Wonder who would be wiling to eat the fried scorpions?

lizab, May 16, 7:27am
me too Jessie lol!!!

jessie981, May 17, 6:14am
LOL, went in here looking for Hedgehog biscuits! Couldn't imagine ayoe EVEN wanting to eat road kill

retired, May 17, 7:00am
I saw some very strange things on skewers in China. the only thing I was wiling to try was sea snake!Wonder who would be wiling to eat the fried scorpions!

lizab, May 17, 7:27am
me too Jessie lol!

lythande1, Jan 26, 6:39pm
Disease. LOL. Probably mange.
You know the most infectious, disease ridden animal in the world! Humans.

elliehen, Jan 26, 10:03pm
If you fancy a pigeon from the park or the town square, here's an authentic recipe from mediaevel times.

Peiouns ystewed.
Take peiouns and stop hem with garlec and with gode erbis ihewe, and do hem in an erthen pot; cast (th)erto gode broth and whyte grece, powder fort, safroun, verious & salt.

jbsouthland, Jan 27, 2:30am
Why not scoop up roadkill and throw in the slowcookeradd splash of wine , sliced onions. Yuk.!

lythande1, Jan 27, 3:27am
Some people do eat roadkill. So long as it's fresh, it's just another dead animal.

I have eaten pigeon. Wouldn't eat a hedgehog cause I like them.
But whats the difference! Cute little lambs are OK - other animals aren't!

falcon-hell, Jan 27, 4:40am
i spose if you cook it properly.anyway arent hedgehogs full of tb!