For Those Of You With A Heap Of Cucumbers

Page 1 / 2
cookessentials, Jan 25, 9:20am
Just received my Annabel Langbein newsletter with this great recipe.

http://www.annabel-langbein.com/kitchen_recipe_view.php?cid=29&rid=34

pickles7, Jan 25, 9:45am
A new take, on an old recipe. lol.

fisher, Jan 25, 10:06am
Cooky.... Yup great to use up those extra cuc's from the garden..
Similar to the one I posted last week "Curried Cucumber Pickle"
that has the same ingredients apart from where that one uses turmeric, the curried one uses curry powder (go figure :})and capsicums...Spose there is a lot of similar ones about and using the same basics with variations...

crystalmoon, Jan 25, 7:27pm
Thanks cooky,sounds delish was wondering what to do with some cucmbers I got given the other day,perfect.Cheers

cookessentials, Jan 25, 8:25pm
yep, like many recipes pickles

cookessentials, Jan 25, 8:26pm
yes and I love cucumbers but Dh is not so keen, so the extras are always nice made into something. I love bread and butter pickles...have you got a nice recipe?

greerg, Jan 25, 8:30pm
That does sound good.I plan to have a preserving weekend so may givethese a go.

rainrain1, Jan 25, 8:33pm
The above annabel langbein recipe is exactly the same as the bread and butter pickle recipe, only she has given it another name :-)

fisher, Jan 25, 8:39pm
That's true rainrain1... I made that recently but without the garlic which I think is the most used proverbial recipe....

pickles7, Jan 25, 8:44pm
x1
" Annabel Langbein " she makes the pickle, adds garlic, lol. A cook with, Charisma .

cookessentials, Jan 25, 8:50pm
Hers seems different to the Maison Therese bread and butter pickles I like.

cookessentials, Jan 25, 9:20am
Just received my Annabel Langbein newsletter with this great recipe.

http://www.annabel-langbein.com/kitchen_recipe_view.php!cid=29&rid=34

fisher, Jan 25, 10:06am
Cooky. Yup great to use up those extra cuc's from the garden.
Similar to the one I posted last week "Curried Cucumber Pickle"
that has the same ingredients apart from where that one uses turmeric, the curried one uses curry powder (go figure :})and capsicums.Spose there is a lot of similar ones about and using the same basics with variations.

cookessentials, Jan 25, 8:26pm
yes and I love cucumbers but Dh is not so keen, so the extras are always nice made into something. I love bread and butter pickles.have you got a nice recipe!

fisher, Jan 25, 8:39pm
That's true rainrain1. I made that recently but without the garlic which I think is the most used proverbial recipe.

uli, Jan 26, 1:24am
Was looking for some way to use up a bucket of cucumbers, but the link is not available any more.

Anybody got any other ideas rather than fermenting and pickling and daily salads!

elliehen, Jan 26, 3:59am
Give them to the Hospice shop!Our Hospice shop welcomes donations from local growers with a surplus.

You mentioned elsewhere that you regularly donate Mills & Boon books to your local Hospice shop.

uli, Jan 26, 8:21am
Yes I do - but sometimes I am also happy to preserve stuff for myself and friends.

rainrain1, Jan 26, 7:38pm
Cucumber Relish

1 green jelly
1 cup boiling water
1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1 med cucumber grated
1 onion grated
1-2 tsp chopped mint
Mix altogether and put into jars

effcee1, Jan 26, 10:13pm
Hi, excuse the ignorence but do you take the pips out or leave them in !

uli, Jan 27, 12:57am
The pips!

davidt4, Jan 27, 1:41am
The seeds I think.

effcee1, Jan 27, 1:55am
Well uli arent we just the perfect little person. You know what i mean and didnt need to be picked up on it. Either answer the question or stay out of it.

davidt4, Jan 27, 2:16am
I've just typed this one out from Jila Dana-Haeri's book New Persian Cooking.I haven't made it yet but I think it sounds lovely.

Persian Cucumber, Tomato & Onion Salad (Salad-e Shirazi)

serves 4 - 6

300g tomatoes
200g small cucumbers
3 spring onions
1 medium sized red onion
1 tab parsley leaves
1 tab tarragon leaves
1 tab mint leaves
4 tab ev olive oil
juice of 1 large lemon
1 tsp dried mint
salt and black pepper

Wash tomatoes, cucumber and spring onions.Peel onion.Chop all vegetables into very small dice.

Chop herbs finely and mix with vegetables in a salad bowl.

Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, dried mint, salt & pepper.Combine with vegetable mixture and leave to stand about an hour before serving.

pickles7, Jan 27, 3:01am
Looks as if you have got the pip.