Cucumbers, cucumbers and more cucumbers!

toadfish, Jan 28, 3:27am
I just made these. I had 3 lebanese cucumbers that were about to be past there best by.(From my garden)
I took 3 pickling onions - sliced them in rings and arranged them in layers with the lebanese cucumber slices in a large jar (an old Gerkhin one as it happens).
I halved the liquid ingredients and it was just enough to fill it to the top of the jar.

How satisfying. I am a domestic goddess!Can't wait till we can try them.

yduj, Jan 30, 4:16am
Got any tried and true recipes to use these up!

harrislucinda, Jan 30, 4:27am
relishorchutney
chutney500gmapples600mlsvinegar225sugar1/2tspcayennepepper2tlbsp salt500gmsonions725cucumber
peelandcutapplescookinvinegaruntiltenderthenadd sugarpeppersaltPutonionand cucumberthrumincermixaltogetherboilbottleandseal whencool
relishsamebutwith500gmsugarand1dssp currypowderand2tlbspturmericcook asaboveto colouraddturmeric

harrislucinda, Jan 30, 4:33am
pickle
3 largecucumber2 lbsonions2cupssugar1/2cup flour1dspmustard / turmeric/vinegar/ commmonsalt
cutcucumberandonionsprinklewith saltstandovernightputinto pan,withvinegarandcook30 minsoruntiltenderthicken withflourmustardmadeto apastewithvinegarsimmer5minsbottlewhencold

pickles7, Jan 30, 4:57am
If you don't use pickles, give them away.

dezzie, Jan 30, 6:10am
I made this last year and its become a family favourite already.

pickled cucumbers.
2 long telegraph cucumbers
slice into rounds.put to one side
then in a pot, 2 cups white sugar, 2 cups cider vinegar, 1 tblsp plain salt,1 teaspn mustard seeds, 1 teaspn tumeric, 1 teaspn black whole peppercorns.
bring to boil and simmer for 10mins.leave a few minutes after boiling.
have jars warming in oven.
place sliced cucumbers in warm jars, and pour over hot syrup,to the top.
seal with whatever lids come with jars.leave for 1 week, then put in fridge, for a day before eating.

We are still eating them, they keep well, and are lovely on burgers or cheese sandwiches or as a wee pile on the plate with cold meat and salad.

dezzie, Jan 30, 6:10am
I made this last year and its become a family favourite already.

pickled cucumbers.
2 long telegraph cucumbers
slice into rounds.put to one side
then in a pot, 2 cups white sugar, 2 cups cider vinegar, 1 tblsp plain salt,1 teaspn mustard seeds, 1 teaspn tumeric, 1 teaspn black whole peppercorns.
bring to boil and simmer for 10mins.leave a few minutes after boiling.
have jars warming in oven.
place sliced cucumbers in warm jars, and pour over hot syrup,to the top.
seal with whatever lids come with jars.leave for 1 week, then put in fridge, for a day before eating.

We are still eating them, they keep well, and are lovely on burgers or cheese sandwiches or as a wee pile on the plate with cold meat and salad.
To slice them I just used firm pressure down the chute of my food processor with the slicing blade, you need to push quite hard or they are too skinny.

yduj, Jan 30, 6:59am
Will already be doing that but thought I should also preserve some somehow.

Thanks for all the answers, I'm going to give some a go.

julie_, Jan 30, 10:43am
Persian salad - diced cucumber, tomatoes & onion (red if prefer). Finely chop fresh mint and make a dressing with olive oil & lemon juice & salt & pepper. Very simple, but people love this.As for amounts, anything goes really - whatever you prefer - more oil/more juice, lots of mint/not much.I just usually pour the olive oil & lemon juice directly over the chopped vegetables.

toadfish, Feb 21, 8:25am
Just tried them tonight. DELICIOUS. Will never buy commercial bread and butter pickles again.

patsy3, Feb 21, 8:35am
the pickle with cucs and pineapple is awesome. I think you could search for it here. Have made several batches, is really good.

dezzie, Feb 21, 9:03am
I'm glad you liked them :) my cuc's have got mildew this year and croaked, I only got about 6 jars, I'll have to patrol my local vege stalls for some more cheap ones, its worth buying them to make it.

toadfish, Feb 21, 4:34pm
Thats what I thought. 1 telegraph cucumber would make a large jar.
Mine got mildew as well but rescued them with a spray and hopefully I am due a second flush of cucumbers - I planted (and will again) the lebanese ones.

uli, Feb 22, 5:47am
bump for myself - just harvested about 150 of the little critters.