Cucumbers, tomatoes and eggs

ma51, Feb 1, 8:38pm
I have surplus cucumbers, tomatoes and eggs.

I was wanting some peoples favourite or tried and tasted good recipes.

Anyone recipes that people love please post and I will make some and try some out.Thank you all for your time.

davidt4, Feb 1, 9:55pm
Tomato Frittata

3 eggs
4 ripe tomatoes, cored, peeled, seeded and diced
salt & pepper
pinch of chili flakes
50g parmesan, grated
knob of butter
tab crème fraîche
small bunch of chives

Heat overhead grill.Whisk eggs lightly, add all but 1 tab tomato, chili and ¾ of parmesan.

Heat omelet pan over medium heat, add butter, melt, add egg mixture.Working quickly, push in sides to allow egg to run underneath, place pan under grill to set surface.

davidt4, Feb 1, 9:55pm
Tomatoes Baked with Sour Cream

750g tomatoes
35g butter
salt & pepper
150g sour cream

Heat oven 180C.Butter a shallow dish, cut 500g of the tomatoes in half horizontally and arrange cut side up.Dot with butter, salt & pepper.Bake 20 min.

Skin remaining tomatoes and liquidise with sour cream, salt and pepper.Pour over cooked tomatoes to serve.

davidt4, Feb 1, 9:56pm
Spanish Zucchini and Onion with Eggs (Zarangollo)

serves 4

350g zucchini, thinly sliced
350g onions, thinly sliced
6 tab olive oil
salt & pepper
8 eggs

In a large frying pan cook vegetables and oil over medium high heat until they collapse and start to brown.Turn frequently.When well coloured and tender drain, season.

Either scramble with eggs or serve fried eggs on top.

245sam, Feb 1, 10:05pm
ma51, have you thought of serving cucumber as a hot vegetable! It makes a nice and different change providing care is taken to not overcook the cucumber.

HOT CUCUMBER
2 cucumbers, peeled – optional if telegraph/Lebanese cucumbers
2 onions
1 tsp sugar
2 cups water
25g butter
2 tbsp flour
¼ cup milk
salt and pepper

Cut the cucumbers into 1cm thick slices. Peel and slice the onions. Put both into a saucepan with the sugar and water. Boil gently until the onion is soft. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid, and keep warm.
Melt the butter in a saucepan. When sizzling, stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid and the milk. Cook, stirring steadily until thick. Season well. Arrange the cucumber and onion in a dish, pour over the hot sauce and serve hot.
Serves 4-5. :-))

245sam, Feb 1, 10:07pm
ma51, the following is fresh tomato soup recipe that can be served as hot or cold soup, creamy tomato soup or as juice. Without any added creaminess the soup freezes beautifully - it's very easy to make and would make good use of your tomatoes.

Alison Holst's FRESH TOMATO SOUP
1-1•5 Kg ripe red tomatoes
1 slice white or brown bread or a bread crust
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp each of dried basil and dried oregano
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion, chopped
about 2 tsp wine vinegar
Optional: parsley, bay leaf, thyme.

Put the tomatoes into a large microwave casserole, halving large ones. Break the bread into small pieces and add it to the .tomatoes. Sprinkle with the salt, sugar, basil, and oregano, replacing the dried herbs with fresh ones if you have them. Add the chopped garlic and onions, and small quantities of other herbs you have. Cover the microwave dish, and cook until tender and mushy. Cook at HIGH power for about 10 minutes, then lower the power to 50% if you think the mixture may boil over, and cook for 10 minutes longer - if there is no danger of overflow, leave it on high power. Break up the mixture with a potato masher, leave to stand for about 5 minutes, then shake and press through a coarse sieve (I use the food processor and don’t sieve it – depends how smooth you like it or if it’s to be served as juice). Add the vinegar, tasting after 1 spoonful is mixed in. Cover and chill in the refrigerator, adjust seasonings if necessary.
If serving as JUICE pour into glasses over ice. Add a dash of hot pepper sauce or Worcestershire sauce to each glass, and put a stirring stick of celery in each glass if you like.
If serving as a COLD SOUP, pour into individual bowls just before serving. Serve like this, or pass bowls containing crisp croutons, diced celery, diced peppers, cubed tomatoes, cubed avocado, chopped cucumbers, etc.
If serving as HOT SOUP, stir in parsley or chives if desired, or stir in as much cream, crème fraiche, or sour cream as you like, making cream of tomato soup. Serve with croutons, if desired.
Note: If cooking this soup on the stove-top add the bread once the tomatoes are cooked until tender.:-))

ma51, Feb 1, 11:33pm
Thank you everyone for these recipes.Thank you for your time in putting them up.

I will definitely try a few of these!

uli, Feb 2, 4:11am
This is what I do often once I have already done the pickling and fermenting and more cucumbers show up:

It is a fresh salad that keeps in the fridge for 6 weeks or more.

7- 8 cups unpeeled pickling cucumbers sliced thin,
1- 2 cups sliced onions (red looks prettier),
1- 2 cups sliced red or green peppers,
2 tbsp salt,
1cup white vinegar (I use cider),
1 - 2 cups sugar (depending on how sweet you want it),
1tsp celery seed,
1tsp mustard seed,
2 tsp chopped dill or dry dill weed.

Mix cucumbers, onions, peppers, dill and salt and set aside.
Put vinegar, sugar, celery seed and mustard seed in a pot and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat and let cool.
Pour mixture over cucumbers.
Put in jars and store in refrigerator.

Will keep up to 2 months

ma51, Feb 2, 5:28am
Yum pickles! Thanks!

uli, Feb 4, 3:42am
bump for kirmag