What happened to Roxdale apricots.........

infinityjrc, Jan 20, 5:47am
It seems that there is no NZ product available anymore they are all imported from China.The can is labelled in NZ!!! Did Roxdale go out of business?

eastie3, Jan 20, 5:54am
I believe they did,last year.

radiodanny, Jan 20, 5:57am
Havent seen them for years.They were beautiful apricots too.With the tinned ones now you have to read the label carefully.There are often specials on better brands of tinned fruit, like SPC (Australian).If you don't mind South African apricots the Watties tinned ones are from there.I personally think they are pale and watery, compared to Roxdale, which were dark orange and tangy and delicious.Like Watties, The Oak brand can't be trusted as to the origin of the contents of the can.Some Oak fruit is NZ, some not.Sometimes there are Spanish canned apricots which are not bad.

harrislucinda, Jan 20, 6:23am
yescantbeatroxdalebutsadlytheyarenolongerinbusiness

elliehen, Jan 20, 6:58am
Australian SPC brand has the best flavours by far.Golden Queen peaches are just that - gold, not green.

graham1972, Jan 21, 9:08am
Drove past the old Roxdale factory the other day on the Alexandrathe factory looks the same as when it was in use but it isclosed apprently it was cheaper to do apricots in China

macandrosie, Jan 31, 8:39am
I think Roxdale apricots were canned in Roxborough, Central Otago. It's no longer in operation.

uli, Jan 31, 9:03pm
The last cannery was closed a few years ago, as the labour costs were too high compared with the cr@p we get in from China - where of course the workers have no ACC, unemployment benefit or health system, and are cheap labour.

The Chinese fruit is picked only semi ripe and then immersed in
a hot lye bath. The excess lye is drained after a while and any lye that adheres to the fruit is removed with the peel by thorough washing. Of course that only works if the fruit is not soft and ripe - hence it tastes like cr@p.

guest, Sep 18, 11:43pm
x1
We are growing apricots down in Roxburgh on our wee boutique apricot orchard and would love to please discerning chefs.....if the thought of lovely juicy fresh Roxburgh Apricot tickles your taste buds please contact us whrland@gmail.com. Phone 03 446 8939 cell 027 446 8939. Season approx 8 Jan till near end Feb. We have several varieties with some late varieties maturing March coming on. Cheers Anne