HELP!! Shortbread

amonnk, Dec 24, 2:10am
Ok, so its not really that urgent lol, but seriously, whats my problem here?? I made shortbread from this recipe: http://www.joyofbaking.com/shortbreads/shortbreadcookies.html, I did do the cornflour thing it talks about in the blurb. It was a super soft dough, ended up having to refrigerate overnight as was baking with Mr 4 and he was getting tired. Anyway, got the dough out this morning, had to let it set for about 20 mins to soften enough to roll out... baked them for 7-8 mins and they are super crumbly... they taste nice, but you take a bite and they are just gone... like a crumbly melt away in seconds kinda thing- which sounds quite nice when trying to explain it, but its not... its too much that way, I want to taste my biscuits- if you buy shortbreads from the supermarket you could dunk them in your tea, these you so could not, there would be nothing left... any ideas of what went wrong? (Google is not being too friendly to me at the mo) TIA

davidt4, Dec 24, 3:47am
That's what shortbread is supposed to be like - short.If you want something with a harder texture look for a biscuit recipe that has an egg in it, or try making biscotti, which are very hard.

buzzy110, Dec 24, 3:57am
I don't think you posted the whole link as it comes up "Page Not Found". However, I clicked onto the shortbread recipes on that page and found:

"If you bake the shortbread just until set the shortbread will be very tender and crumbly. Baking 5 - 10 minutes longer will produce a firmer shortbread as it removes additional moisture and gives the shortbread a longer shelf life."

Personally I don't think you can really go past the Edmond's shortbread recipe. They are written up with NZ flour, butter and other ingredients in mind, using NZ measurements.

gardie, Dec 24, 4:06am
I think that cornflour makes the shortbread shorter.I agree with buzzy - the edmonds recipe is great - you can shape it into logs then refrigerate for 30 mins then slice off pieces to cook. Its the only one I do now. I do remember though a thread with a recipe from someone who said it was the best scottish tasting shortbread they've tasted - may be worth doing a search for it.

marcs, Dec 24, 4:18am
This is the one I make in my food processor. Very yummy. Could not see your recipe so can't comment.

Soften 200gms butter put into food processor,

add 100gms Icing sugar, wizz,

add 100gms cornflour, wizz,

add 200gms flour wizz, till pale, onto floured area

roll cut, bake 150 till cooked, not browned, about 15 - 20 mins touch to see if firm

Easier to roll into a cylinder in some glad wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins. Cut into 1cm thick slices and bake.

akd100, Dec 24, 4:21am
Edmonds shortbread recipe is definately the best!

amonnk, Dec 25, 8:58am
Thanks guys, I'll try Edmonds next time

horizons_, Dec 25, 8:03pm
As a matter of interest:-
Cornflour added to the mix makes the biscuit 'melt in the mouth'. If you want a harder biscuit use less cornflour or just flour.
Also the type of sugar you use changes the texture. Icing sugar = smooth and softer to bite into. Castor sugar gives the biscuit more crunch and normal sugar makes it crisp and crunchy. Experiment till you get the combo that you like.

winnie15, Dec 16, 4:57pm
x1
my recipe has only 2 tablespoon of cornflour and it's divine ..