Tegal Turkey - 3.0

yodagirl, Dec 23, 9:10am
Can people please give me some ideas on how I should cook this, and what I should do with it??Never cooked one before.

ardente, Dec 23, 9:15am
2 hrs 35 mins @ 160...pretty sure it has the cooking guide on the packaging.

timetable, Dec 23, 9:16am
i do the nigella lawson soak over 3 days and then do jamie's suggestion of putting herb butter up underneath the skin..

you can still do the home made herb'd butter and then carefully put your hand underneath the breast skin and ease it away from the breast meat, then gently press the butter under the skin and massage it around.place your turkey in your roasting dish on a rack, stuff with your fav stuffing or just halved lemons, onion, salt and pepper and a bunch of your fav herbs and then truss it up so that the legs are togther cris crossed over each other... sprinkle a little more salt and pepper over the skin, cover with tin foil and then bake at 180 deg for about 3/4 of an hour then turn back and let her cook away till the juice runs clear when you poke a neddle into the leg joint.. you can then take the tin foil off, give it a good basting and leave for another 15 min or so to brown up... then rest your turkey under the tin foil on the bench for a good half an hour or so before carving.. enjoy!!

yodagirl, Dec 23, 9:23am
Thanks timetable!!!I'm after recipes to make it really tasty....not just the cooking times on the packet. lol

rosie, Dec 23, 9:32am
It was Gordon Ramsey the other night I think that said the secret to perfectly tender Turkey is to rest it for as long as you cook it!It's something he learnt in France and said works wonderfully.I wondered about it being completely cold by then but he added that because you add hot gravy it does not need to be piping hot.
I am going to give it a go - also intend to stuff it with a cous cous and cranberry stuffing - should be delish, oh and because it is a lean, dry meat it is a good idea to layer rashers of bacon over the top of it so it can absorb some of the fat.
All the best, may this be the first of many successful Turkeys for you in the years to come :)

rosie, Dec 23, 9:34am
p.s I am also going to make a lemon butter and coat it in under the skin as timetable mentioned :)

yodagirl, Dec 23, 9:54am
I've just found a recipe that has red wine and stock to cover turkey and rosemary.Thpught I ight add the rosemary to the butter and place that under the skin.Does the turkey need to be breast side up or down, and on a rack not just in a roasting pan?

kuaka, Dec 8, 8:10am
Hmmm, I dunno about this recommendation.When I did a food safety and hygiene course years ago, it was recommended then that "moist protein foods, especially, should not be left in the food danger zone for more than an hour - the food danger zone being temperatures between 5 deg C and 60 deg C".They should be either quickly chilled to below 5 deg C or kept hot at above 60 deg C.Just leaving them on the kitchen bench to rest would seem to go against this advice.

Any of you other learned cooks like to comment.

(edited to correct typo)