Turkey Defrosting - Please Help Me!!!!!!!!

nthwest, Dec 21, 10:02pm
Hi all, I took my turkey (3.5) out of the freezer 2 days ago and put it in the fridge to defrost so that I can cook it on Christmas Eve but.........it's still rock solid frozen in the fridge, now I'm starting to pannick, can someone please tell me how to defrost this or at least start the process safely as it does not seem to be defrosting at all in the fridge (and it's now been 2 days out of the freezer) Thanks.

lizab, Dec 21, 10:08pm
If I were you, I'd take it out of the fridge until it's defrosted and then put it back in the fridge till you cook it.

prawn_whiskas, Dec 21, 10:09pm
Turkeys can take up to 6 days to defrost in the fridge (there was a big sign warning everyone of this in our countdown last week)

I'd probably fill the bath tub up with water the day before and bag it up a few times (in case there are holes in the turkey bag) then float it like I do chicken.I'd change the water about 3 times to keep it cool and slowly bring the turkey up to defrost temp.

cgvl, Dec 21, 10:09pm
leave on bench for a couple of hours to kick start the defrosting or leave it out overnight to defrost. In fridge takes far too long.

uli, Dec 22, 12:57am
If you want to START cooking it on Christmas Eve - then take it out the evening before and leave it in the sink. By mid-morning it is most likely defrosted already and can go into the fridge until you start heating it up.

nthwest, Dec 22, 2:18am
thanks for the help everyone, I was really starting to panic.

uli, Dec 22, 4:57am
No need to panic - you can roast it from frozen too LOL :)

timetable, Nov 30, 6:09pm
if you place it in container with a lid, in a cool out of sunlight place then it will defrost fine over a couple of days...i took mine out (5.5kg) and did this and it was lovely and defrosted within 48 hours, and is now sitting in a lovely nigella lawson bath of fantasticness!!'martha' will be finished her lovely 3 day soak at the end of thur, so will be in the oven with much love on friday lol...enjoy your turkey you'll be fine - all will be well lolhave a wonderful christmas!!!