The great TURKEY advise?

flora11, Nov 26, 6:58pm
Ok here is the question - is it best hot or cold and do you stuff it with??? I ahve to cook one for christmas, anyone have any ideas?

cookessentials, Nov 26, 7:34pm
Personal choice really. You could serve it hot if you prefer, with all the trimmings, including stuffings,cranberry sauce,prunes wrapped in bacon etc etc and use the left overs cold the following days

cookessentials, Nov 26, 7:40pm
Apple & Sage Stuffing For Turkey

150g bacon, chopped
2 medium brown onions chopped finely
2 granny smith apples, peeled, grated
3 cups stale breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons finely chopped sage
50g butter, melted, cooled
salt and pepper

Fry bacon in non-stick frying pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp and browned lightly. Add onions; cook, stirring until onion softens. Remove from heat; cool slightly.

Using hands, mix cooled onion mixture, apples, breadcrumbs, sage, butter and salt and pepper in large bowl until thoroughly combined.

Wash turkey well. Pat dry with absorbent paper. Season body and neck cavities of bird with salt and pepper. Stuff body and neck cavities with apple and sage stuffing. Use skewers to secure openings if necessary.

shop-a-holic, Sep 7, 11:08pm
These are just my rules:
a) Buy a fresh turkey (20lbs). Never Tegal or fuel-injected ones
b) Brine the turkey for 24hrs prior to placing in oven. My brining solution is 4litres of water for 1 Cup of salt. Now, I use apple juice instead of water, adding peppercorns, a few chilli flakes and bouquet garni
c) Use a meat probe, and insert into the thickest part of the breast. Cook until internal temp is 160 degree F. My oven cooks it in 1hr 30mins approx
d) Quadruple wrap the turkey in foil once its cook and leave it to REST for 1.5 hrs. It continues to cook, and the internal temp goes up to 170F
e) I make the stuffing separately, using sausage meat, dried cranberries and pistaschio nuts. Incredible colour when cut into. "Scotch egg" size. I then place them into the middle of the bird before placing on the table. Its only for presentation purposes and looks great.

If you stuff a turkey, the breast will cook before the rest of the bird, and that is why people have dried turkeys. I UNDERCOOK the breast, because as its resting it will continue to cook.If you cook to 170 degrees, it will be ruined at 180 degrees.