Does anyone cook on top of there fireplace/burner

Page 1 / 6
bev00, May 19, 11:07am
saving for days of winter

evorotorua, May 26, 6:26pm
Beginners Just a note for people starting out on this type of cooking this winter. Start by cooking the veges. This is pretty fool proof as it is just water in a pot with the veges until cooked. I also use the top of my woodburner for reheating soup, cheerios small things like that to start with. Baking and stewing requires a steadier heat than I like to be bothered with most of the time and for much longer. As we often don't light the fire until later in the day, this is a little tricky for timeconsuming cooking. Anyway, start easy and build up when the days are long and cold outside. It's fun and you feel "green" as in eco green.

evorotorua, May 26, 6:27pm
also many thanks to those wonderful people who keep these threads bumped. Esp this one over the summer.

blingbling47, May 26, 10:04pm
Hi I av a huge chippy... and it has an oven on the top and a place on top of fire box. It heats my water, house and I cook on it every night during colder months... its awesome!

sorbus, May 27, 5:39am
Baked spuds, stews soups hot water fot the old hot water bottlebut i want to try a pav

nauru, May 27, 10:09am
bump just want to keep this thread

millna, Jun 3, 5:41am
(""\_(o_O)_/"&q-
uot;) grrr

jenna68, Jun 8, 6:52am
=^-^= meow - not a very good one I'm afraid lol. valentino taught me how to do them but I have forgotten! :o)

boop2, Jun 12, 10:32am
I have always had the kettle boiling on multi burner but worried about smells from food in lounge. Do you find this or doesn't it matter? I am certainly thinking now though on goes the pot for soup tomorrow. Thanks for the great tips

evorotorua, Jun 12, 6:33pm
hi Boop2 I agree that some smells might not be great in the lounge. However soup would not be one of them for me. Personally I don't like the smell of cabbage and lamb so I don't use the fire to cook those. However soup is a very homely kind of smell. Personal really. Probably not tripe & onions! ! ! ! lol My apologies in advance to tripe lovers.

boop2, Jun 15, 1:07am
evorotorua thanks for that. Haven, t done anything yet but will.

jenna68, Jun 21, 1:28am
s... s

fox_glove, Jun 28, 8:33am
brill ideas keeping warm

herika, Jul 9, 7:56pm
great thread lets keep it going :)

jenna68, Jul 12, 6:59pm
up it goes x

bisloy, Jul 14, 12:39am
Love cooking on my wood burner It has a wetback too (**showing off**) drying the clothes at the mo and thinking what to make on the fire - pikelets later and maybe a potato bake and chicken for tea. Looking forward to a nice hot shower later too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my fire. Makes the bad weather worthwhile.

tammiraven, Jul 18, 6:15am
If so ... . what?

bunny36, Jul 18, 6:40am
I do I make a lovely vege soup I get it to boiling point on stove then over to the fire for few hours.

tammiraven, Jul 18, 7:11am
thats a good idea ... I hear about people who boil there washing water in a pot to do there dishes

lost-in-oz, Jul 18, 7:14am
There was a thread awhile ago... . people had baked cakes, done roasts, stews/casseroles, steamed pud etc on top of their fireplaces. You can purchase a camp oven (really heavy duty cast iron thing that looks like a giant casserole dish) from any camping store.

juliewn, Jul 18, 1:22pm
Hi Lost... I looked for those threads last night. . . . and couldn't find them. . there were some great ideas in the thread for cooking a large variety of things - from casserole's, roast meats and vegetables, to baking cakes and bread, and even a pavlova. . Heat water for dishes. . and a cuppa afterwards. . so heating, cooking, and dish washing all provided for by an armful or so of wood. .

lost-in-oz, Jul 18, 2:10pm
Hi Julie What a shame they felloff the end of the message board. There was a wealth of information on them. Hopefully the original posters will see this new one and repost some of their tried and tested recipies.

shiyo, Jul 18, 8:50pm
bump this thread so I can get some yummy reciepes too.

cgvl, Jul 18, 9:28pm
I cook on mine all the time. Basically anything you can cook on top of your stove can be cooked on a log/wood burner. I dont cook anything that requires frying on mine because it splatters. Casseroles can be put into a large pot and cooked, roast have been done on them too but not by me so don't know how they turned out.

carterne, Jul 18, 11:09pm
potato bake I have put a potato bake on mine this morning. It is not so much what you cook as how you set it up. The potato bake is in a Le Creuset dish with a lid (heavy casserole dish)I sat that in a heavy frying pan to catch any spills. I have a trivet made of bits of steel on top of the wood burner to stop it from catching on the bottom. The idea of using a Dutch Oven is good as it holds the heat in. You shouldn't peak inside too often as this lets the warmth out. I have made casseroles and soups on mine too. It is a lot like using a slow cooker really in that respect.