Canadian recipes to suit nz Help!!

lx4000, Dec 22, 9:35pm
Hi there. I have got some dutch recipes and the book was published in Canada, They said they had to make the recipes a few times to adjust them to the altitude, how do I change it back to sea level recipes!!
Or should I just surf the net and get different ones with the same name but less of?

Ta very muchly :)

(barloo)

cgvl, Dec 22, 10:16pm
how are they different to ours.
I have recipes from canada and it is just some of the ingredient names that are different ie icing sugar is confectioners sugar and occasionally the temperature for baking eg Fahrenheit rather than Celsius

lx4000, Dec 23, 1:30am
I have no idea what they changed!! But I have noticed one of the recipes in another thread and it has 1 cup more flour! Mine said 2 cups, the one posted here had 3 cups. So have changed my recipe for next time I make them:)

ferita, Dec 23, 2:49am
The altitude should not change much. The only difference would be that water boils slower at alititude.

Also canada is such a huge place I doubt the recipes would need much changing. I lived in Canada for a while and NZ recipes worked well over there :)

lx4000, Dec 23, 3:00am
that what I thought too! But it was written in the book so took that into account.

(barloo)

punkinthefirst, Dec 23, 5:01pm
My "Joy of Cooking" (American classic cookbook) has a whole paragraph in nearly 900 pages, on cooking at HIGH altitudes (my emphasis) - meaning mountainous country. Water boils at just under 1 degree C less for every 1000 feet above sea level, e.g., 98 degrees at 2000 ft, down to 75 degrees at 20,000 feet. They recommend writing to the Home Economics Department of the local State College, if people need more specialized advice. I wouldn't think that many adjustments would have to be made to your recipes unless you lived at really high altitudes. If they worked well last time, why change them?
Oh, and remember that US and Canadian recipes can be written truly anally, down to the last grain of salt and swipe of the whisk!!

punkinthefirst, Dec 9, 5:59pm
Hi again. I was curious, so Googled "High altitude baking" and came up with a number of good sites. Here are two of them:-

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/cake_decorating/31903 and http://www.highaltitudebaking.com/

Thanks for an hour or so of interesting surfing!