Wanted a nice flavoursome glaze for a Xmas Ham

johne21, Dec 18, 6:28pm
Has anyone got a nice flavoursome glaze for a xmas ham...Something with a differance would be nice.Thanks

bedazzledjewels, Dec 18, 6:39pm
I've got a wholegrain mustard and dark ale one if it appeals to you.

johne21, Dec 18, 7:01pm
Thats a nice idea thanks

bedazzledjewels, Dec 18, 7:44pm
Okay - I have to gp out right now but I'll post it in an hour or so.
I've used it for the last 3 years and it's nice to get away from all the sweet, sticky glazes.

trader125, Dec 18, 9:23pm
ive never done one before ,so for our first im doing the one in womans day, orange juice,maple syrup & wholegrain mustaed

bedazzledjewels, Dec 18, 9:43pm
Dark Ale Glaze - by Fiona Smith
1 cooked ham
2Tab whole seed mustard
1/4 cup julienned or finely grated ginger
1 cup dark cane or brown sugar (I use a lot less, or none at all)
330mls dark beer (Guinnes or Monteith's Black Beer)

Preheat oven to 180.
Remove rind from ham and score the ham in diagonal lines.
Place in large roasting dish.
In a bowl combine the mustard, ginger and sugar with just enough beer to form a think paste and set aside.
Pour the remaining beer over the ham and bake for 40 mins. Baste after 20 mins.
Remove ham from the oven and smear the paste all over the scored fat. Return to oven and bake for a further 30 mins or until golden.
Baste after 15 minutes.

Sometimes in the past I've added dried apricots or dried figs on toothpicks into the top of the ham.

Enjoy.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 19, 6:00am
Bumping for johne21

margyr, Dec 19, 6:13am
had one a couple of years ago, lime marmalade, sweet chili sauce and brown sugar, probably had some water as well, just cut criss cross pattern in the fat and paint on then bake and baste till golden. It was yum.

tehenga288, Dec 19, 8:43am
simple one is pineapple juice , brown sugar & mustard brushed over clove studded ham , baste a couple of times & 10 mins before removing from oven placepineapple slices over (fix on with toothpicks)

nickyd, Dec 19, 6:53pm
Just tried the Jamie Oliver Jerk Ham one recently and it was delish- hope to make it myself this year...........

ethelz1, Nov 17, 5:45pm
Glaze for ham

I prepare ham as one of the above posts says then I rub ham with masterfoods wholegrain mustard then add a bit on the side spicy apricot sauce over top of the mustard.Keep basting with sauce from bottom of the dish till ham is heated through.This is delicious and a nice change