NEW WAYS WITH MINCE

tradingpostshn, Dec 11, 11:41pm
hi all, I'm just wanting some new, creative ideas to do with mince. Meat is so damn expensive so I usually buy a $10 mince pack and half it, one half feeds my partner and I plus leftovers for his lunch. I tend to get stuck in a rut doing Spag Bol, the "throw it all in" stir fry, mexican wraps, burger patties and meatballs.
What are some alturnatives - preferably cheap as possible please.

alebix, Dec 11, 11:46pm
boil it? sounds gross but boil it up with vegies chuck in, with herbs and spices, tomato paste etc and then chuck in a few handfuls of pasta or 2 min noodles...

My kids love this... yummy.

rosathemad, Dec 11, 11:59pm
A nice chilli con carne - onion, a generous helping of kidney beans, tinned tomatoes , some carrots, chilli, a little cinnamon, cumin, simmer it all for ages then add some fresh coriander leaves. Can be served with rice, tortillas, corn chips, baked potatoes - very versatile. We often make this and have it two or three nights running with different carbs. Adding some fresh tomato salsa gives it a summery edge and unsweetened yoghurt balances it out, but these are optional extras. :-)

fifie, Dec 12, 12:00am
Flat bread Nachos. Pre heat oven to 200c cut flat bread into triangles brush or spray with oil sprinkle with a little paprika and bake for 3-4 mins, till golden dosent take long. Cook a onion and garlic in a frying pan throw in some mince and brown it. Add 1-2 tins of tomatoes( depending on how much your making)s/pepperif you like it hot add some chilli sauce or chopped chillies and cook till mince is tender with lid off and sauce reduces a bit.Pile your bread triangles on a plate add some mince mixture on top serve with sour cream..

dezzie, Dec 12, 12:49am
throw in a packet of sausage meat, and make your normal meatball recipe, makes a nice meat loaf, you can stretch it by adding a grated potato.
Sausage meat tubes are frequently cheaper than mince, and can make good meatballs just on their own, or you can divide it up and make crumbed sausages easily, and probably make a "pattie" to invent a nice man sammich with some tomato and lettuce, or even a cold fried egg.

bedge1, Dec 12, 1:14am
lasagne or layered with potato slices & cheese sauce.Like the lasagne but instead of pasta sheets its potato.

beaker59, Dec 12, 1:21am
I make small meat balls fry them til rare but well browned on the outside then make a vege stirfry and add meat balls towards end some seem to work best if crushed up a bit in the stir fry.

4mywants, Dec 13, 8:37am
magic mince- and it is easy and a good favorite....brown mince with some onion and garlic if you like...then add curry powder according to taste-my family-1 heaped tsp. Then adda can of chopped tomatoes and a can of spaghetti or baked beans. The magic part i think is a teaspoon of brown sugar...adds a pleasant sweetness, anyhow you can add mushrooms,chopped celery all the usuals. If you don't add the tomatoes it is a bit thicker, if you do add them it is sloppier-still very nice.
then turn it into a dish and cover with buttered bread and a grating of cheese. Just like magic a tasty cheap meal..kids love it! heat through till cheese bubbles.

coconutbuns, Dec 14, 11:24pm
Meatloaf with BBQ sauce, very yummy, I'll try 2 find it 4 u or you can google it

theanimal1, Dec 14, 11:44pm
Barbeque Glaze Meatloaf

500g bacon slices trimmed, 1 onion chopped, 750g beef mince, 250g sausage meat, 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup chopped parsley, 2 teaspoons rosemary leaves, 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce, sea salt and cracked pepper add garlic if you like.
***BARBEQUE GLAZE***

1/3 cup tomato sauce 2 tablespoons brown sugar 2 tablespoons red wine vinega
r... Preheat oven to 180c. To make the barbeque glaze, place the sauce, sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolved. Brush the glaze over both sides of bacon, reserving any glaze. Line a 20x10x7cm greased loaf tin with the bacon slices. Place the onion, garlic, beef mince, sausage meat, breadcrumbs, parsley, rosemary, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well to combine. Press the mince mixture into the loaf tin, fold over the bacon to enclose the filling and cook for 35 mins or until cooked through. Carefully drain any excess liquid from the tin and turn the meatloaf out on to a baking tray. Brush the loaf with the remaining glaze and cook for a further 8-10mins or until the top is golden. Slice to serve. serves 8.

theanimal1, Dec 14, 11:45pm
Cocktail Meatballs

1 pound lean ground beef (can use chicken mince)
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup bread crumbs
3 tablespoons minced onion
1 (8 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce (optional) (i just use plum jam if i want it)
3/4 cup chili sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, water, bread crumbs, and
minced onion. Roll into small meatballs. Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes,
turning once.in alarge saucepan over low heat, blend the
cranberry sauce, chili sauce, brown sugar, and pour over meatballs .

can be eaten cold

theanimal1, Dec 14, 11:46pm
Mexican Mince and Potato Bake

•1 teaspoon olive oil •500g beef mince •2-3 cloves of garlic – finely sliced •1 green capsicum - chopped •1 yellow capsicum - chopped •8 spring onions (2 bunches) sliced •3 small-medium tomatoes – chopped •1 teaspoon chilli powder •1 tablespoon ground cumin •1 teaspoon garlic salt •1/2 teaspoon black pepper •1/4 teaspoon salt, •3-5 large baking potatoes, sliced thin, •3/4 cup grated tasty cheese. Preheat oven to 180°C. In a large pan, heat the oil, add the mince, capsicums and spring onions. Cook, stirring as needed, until the mince is browned and the vegetables are softened. Add tomatoes, spices and salt, cook, stirring as needed until the flavours are blended, about five minutes. Arrange layers of the potatoes and mince mixture in the baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes, uncover and sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Bake until the potatoes are cooked through and the cheese is melted, about 10-15 minutes longer.

theanimal1, Dec 14, 11:46pm
Ming Ling meal in a pot

1kg. Mince
1 large Apple, peeled and chopped
1/2 Tbsp. Curry Powder
2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
4 cups Water
1 packet Chicken Noodle Soup
2 Onions, chopped
1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Tomato Sauce
3 Tbsp. uncooked Rice
3 Carrots, grated
1 Cabbage, chopped fine

Brown mince and onions in a large pot.
Add apple, sugar, curry, sauces, rice and water and boil 15 minutes.
Add carrot, soup and cabbage.
Mix in well and cook another 15 minutes.

Serve with warm crisp rolls.

theanimal1, Dec 14, 11:47pm
rolled meat loaf

500g mince 1 egg 1 teaspoon soy sauce 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs OR 1/2 cup rolled oats 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs 1 small onion finely chopped FILLING 2 boiled eggs 3/4 cup grated cheese TOPPING 1/2 cup tomato sauce 1/4 cup brown sugar 1 tablespoon vinegar 1. In a large bowl beat egg and add rest of ingredients. 2. Mix thoroughly, (your hand is a good tool here). 3. Spread out a sheet of greasproof paper about 30cm x 20cm and smooth out meat mixture to fit. 4. Cut eggs in quarters longways and put in a line across long side of meat nearest you, 5. Scatter cheese over. 6. Using paper to help you, roll up meat like a sponge roll, place on a baking dish with sides seam side down. 7. Mix topping ingredients and cover loaf. 8. Bake for about 1 hour at 180º.

tradingpostshn, Dec 11, 11:41pm
hi all, I'm just wanting some new, creative ideas to do with mince. Meat is so damn expensive so I usually buy a $10 mince pack and half it, one half feeds my partner and I plus leftovers for his lunch. I tend to get stuck in a rut doing Spag Bol, the "throw it all in" stir fry, mexican wraps, burger patties and meatballs.
What are some alturnatives - preferably cheap as possible please.

alebix, Dec 11, 11:46pm
boil it! sounds gross but boil it up with vegies chuck in, with herbs and spices, tomato paste etc and then chuck in a few handfuls of pasta or 2 min noodles.

My kids love this. yummy.

rosathemad, Dec 11, 11:59pm
A nice chilli con carne - onion, a generous helping of kidney beans, tinned tomatoes , some carrots, chilli, a little cinnamon, cumin, simmer it all for ages then add some fresh coriander leaves. Can be served with rice, tortillas, corn chips, baked potatoes - very versatile. We often make this and have it two or three nights running with different carbs. Adding some fresh tomato salsa gives it a summery edge and unsweetened yoghurt balances it out, but these are optional extras. :-)

The beans make the mince go even further, too!

fifie, Dec 12, 12:00am
Flat bread Nachos. Pre heat oven to 200c cut flat bread into triangles brush or spray with oil sprinkle with a little paprika and bake for 3-4 mins, till golden dosent take long. Cook a onion and garlic in a frying pan throw in some mince and brown it. Add 1-2 tins of tomatoes( depending on how much your making)s/pepperif you like it hot add some chilli sauce or chopped chillies and cook till mince is tender with lid off and sauce reduces a bit.Pile your bread triangles on a plate add some mince mixture on top serve with sour cream.

4mywants, Dec 13, 8:37am
magic mince- and it is easy and a good favorite.brown mince with some onion and garlic if you like.then add curry powder according to taste-my family-1 heaped tsp. Then adda can of chopped tomatoes and a can of spaghetti or baked beans. The magic part i think is a teaspoon of brown sugar.adds a pleasant sweetness, anyhow you can add mushrooms,chopped celery all the usuals. If you don't add the tomatoes it is a bit thicker, if you do add them it is sloppier-still very nice.
then turn it into a dish and cover with buttered bread and a grating of cheese. Just like magic a tasty cheap meal.kids love it! heat through till cheese bubbles.

coconutbuns, Dec 14, 11:24pm
Meatloaf with BBQ sauce, very yummy, I'll try 2 find it 4 u or you can google it

theanimal1, Dec 14, 11:44pm
Barbeque Glaze Meatloaf

500g bacon slices trimmed, 1 onion chopped, 750g beef mince, 250g sausage meat, 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup chopped parsley, 2 teaspoons rosemary leaves, 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce, sea salt and cracked pepper add garlic if you like.
***BARBEQUE GLAZE***

1/3 cup tomato sauce 2 tablespoons brown sugar 2 tablespoons red wine vinega
r. Preheat oven to 180c. To make the barbeque glaze, place the sauce, sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolved. Brush the glaze over both sides of bacon, reserving any glaze. Line a 20x10x7cm greased loaf tin with the bacon slices. Place the onion, garlic, beef mince, sausage meat, breadcrumbs, parsley, rosemary, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well to combine. Press the mince mixture into the loaf tin, fold over the bacon to enclose the filling and cook for 35 mins or until cooked through. Carefully drain any excess liquid from the tin and turn the meatloaf out on to a baking tray. Brush the loaf with the remaining glaze and cook for a further 8-10mins or until the top is golden. Slice to serve. serves 8.

bev00, Dec 15, 11:35am
great mince ideas