makes 1.8 - 2.2 litres (3 - 4 pints)
1 kg (2 lb) rhubarb, chopped
1/2 cup (100 g) 4 oz sugar
2 whole cloves
7 g (1/4 oz) root ginger, bruised
1.2 litres (2 pints) water
mint leaves to garnish

method
1. Put the rhubarb, sugar, cloves, ginger and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.

2. Simmer gently until the rhubarb is soft, replacing any water that evaporates.

3. Strain well and serve in a warmed glass jug, garnished with mint leaves.

darkestangel1, Nov 28, 7:40pm
Does anyone have a recipe for cordial made from Rhubarb please!

cgvl, Nov 28, 7:57pm
I dont have an exact recipe but would think this is how to make.
Cook rhubarb in a good amount of water (my lemon one is 4.5litres water). Strain and squeeze out all liquid. put back into pot and add sugar to taste (again my lemon one has 1.5kg sugar). bottle into clean, dry and sterilized bottles. May add some citric or tartaric acid as well but not sure if would be needed 25g of each.
This should make a concentrate you can water down.

bernice1, Nov 28, 8:03pm
Rhubarb Cordial

9 stalks rhubarb, chopped
3 cups water
peel of 1 lemon, removed with a vegetable peeler
2 cups sugar
juice of 1 lemon

Simmer the rhubarb, water and lemon peel together for 20 minutes, skimming off any foam. Strain, discarding the pulp, then add the sugar and lemon juice and stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil for 1 minute, skim again and cool. Keep refrigerated and use to make punch or cocktails. Makes about 1 litre.

bernice1, Nov 28, 8:07pm
Ihave made and bottled the above successfully.Nice with bubbly or for the non alcoholic version with soda, or with gingerbeer is also a nice twist.

pamellie, Nov 28, 8:38pm
Is this very sweet! It seems like a lot of sugar to the amount of water or does the sourness of the rhubarb stop it from being real sweet!

oh_hunnihunni, Nov 28, 8:47pm
I simply cook the rhubarb till softened with water to cover, taste then sweeten as required at the end. Decant most of the liquid, chill, use the pulp then top the juice up with ice and soda water. But I prefer it tart.

wheelz, Nov 28, 10:37pm
this recipe was posted by some one here: Rhubarb Champagne ( non- Alcoholic) 1 Kg Rhubarb, washed and chopped - 1 1/2 TBsp white vinegar - 700g white sugar - 3 1/2 L water - zest & juice 6 lemons - Put all ingreds. into large non-metal container, mix & stand 48hrs. Strain & bottle. leave 3 weeks before drinking. Fizzy like ginger beer.

cgvl, Nov 28, 10:55pm
I add sugar to taste. Have recently made lemon cordial and didn't have stated amount of sugar so used what I had, sure its rather tart but then I don't mind that but if giving to anyone else I would suggest using with lemonade or adding honey to it to give the right amount of sweetness.

bernice1, Nov 29, 6:18pm
No it is not too sweet, and this from someone who always reduces sugar in recipes.Although I do tend to add a bit more rhubarb, as stalks may be different sizes, lengths etc.Taste and see.