Rhubarb overload........

Page 2 / 2
carlosjackal, Nov 28, 10:18am
Strawberry and Rhubarb are a great flavour combination - I had such a lot of rhubarb last summer that not unlike you, I had to think of other ways to use it up - other than the usual way (ie stewing, jam, chutney etc.), and I stumbled across this fabulous recipe for Strawberry and Rhubarb Pie:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/StrawberryRhubarbPie.html

It really is gorgeous and well worth following this youtube vid clip to see how it's done - it's certainly not at all difficult, but it also shows very clearly how to make the real (and perfect) lattice top in just a few easy steps.

chooky, Nov 28, 10:35am
Just finished off some stewed rhubarb tonight.I cut mine and freeze raw in 500g bags.Good in the winter time with a crumble on top. Here's a nice summer recipe.
Rhubarb Summer Pudding.
500g chopped rhubarb.
1/2 c whipped cream.
1/2 c sugar.
1/2 c water.
1 pkt raspberry jelly.
Cook Rhubarb, sugar, water and jelly until rhubarb is tender, when cool and begining to set, stir through whipped cream. Yummy straight front fridge.

cmjbp, Nov 28, 12:32pm
I made rhubarb jam recently, it has been very well received by all.

I got the recipe from the internet. I found I boiled it longer than it said to, but here it is as I copied it down.

3C chpd small rhubarb
2 1/2 C sugar
1/2 C water (may not seem enough but it is)
1 pkt red jelly crystals
Put water and fruit into pot, stir continuously, boil until soft. (4 mins) Add sugar, boil, stirring until dissolved (about 2 mins). Turn off heat, pour in jelly, stir until dissolved. Pour into jars.
Made 3 jars

donnabeth, Nov 27, 8:16pm
Maybe you could go into one of the bigger workplaces in your town and drop off your surplus.
I work with about 50 people and can always find a taker for surplus rhubarb-already they're asking me if it's ready yet, but last year they weren't interested in my tomatoes. I also took surplus fresh tomatoes along with rhubarb jam and fresh rhubarb to my local Habitat for Humanity shop. I wrote on a big card that my garden has never been sprayed, but it is fed on horse manure, so wash fruit carefully.

flower-child01, Nov 27, 9:16pm
Here is a favourite since a child.

Rhubarb & Banana jam

450g rhubarb, chopped
450g sugar
4 bananas
1 tsp butter

Slice the rhubarb finely and place in a glass bowl.
Add the sugar, stir and leave overnight for juice to form.
Transfer to a pan and bring slowly to boiling point stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved.
Boil gently for 30 minutes or until thick.
Mash the banana and add to the jam. Boil for a further 5 minutes.
Add the butter and skim off any froth into a small bowl.
Pour the jam into sterilised jars and cover.

theboss17, Nov 27, 10:48pm
hi with the champagne do u disolve the sugaran how do u get higer achol please

makespacenow, Nov 27, 10:52pm
Rhubarb&vanilla jam was very popular here kids ate it out of the jars.