I got a beautiful recipe for a ginger

stormbaby, Nov 18, 9:01am
loaf today, and then nearly died when it said 3/4 cup of honey. The last small pottle of honey I bought was $7!!!

elliehen, Nov 18, 9:11am
Could you post the recipe please?I've got beekeeper friends :)

stormbaby, Nov 18, 9:29am
Only if you can source me some cheap honey! I am suffering, I drink peppermint tea with a little honey and the price of it is killing me!! Just kidding:

3/4 cup honey, 1/2 cup brown sugar firmly packed, 3/4 cup water, 1 3/4 cups plain flour, 1 1/2tsp baking powder, 1tsp baking soda, 1tsp ground ginger, 1/2tsp allspice, 1/2tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, 2 eggs, lightly beaten, butter to serve.
Grease a 12cmx22cm medium loaf tin.Line base and two long sides with baking powder.Place honey, sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Stir over heat until dissolved.bring to the boil. Boil 2 minutes.Cool slightly.Transfer to a large bowl.Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices into a separate bowl.Add half the flour mixture to the warm honey mixture, whisk to combine.Whist in eggs.Stir in remaining flour mixture, until smooth.Pour in prepared tin.cook at 160C for about an hour or until cooked when tested.Cover loosely with foil during cooking if over-browing.Stand in pan for 5 minutes. turn out onto wire rack to cool.Serve spread with butter. Yum.

elliehen, Nov 18, 9:58am
Thanks!That looks good, like a dense Dutch honey cake.

Find a friendly beekeeper and buy direct ;)

cgvl, Nov 18, 10:21am
thats got a lot of sugar in it. I find honey in cooking much sweeter than sugar. personally I would only use ¼cup honey at the most. Other than that the loaf sounds really yummy

stormbaby, Nov 18, 7:50pm
I think I liked it as its a lot like my Mum's Dutch honey cake recipes.

lindylambchops1, Nov 19, 6:53am
I guess like me you love ginger.I make this Ginger Loaf it is delicious! 2c flour, 1c milk, 1c sugar, 1 egg, 2 tbs golden syrup, 1tsp ginger, 1tsp cinnamon, 1tsp mixed spice, butter size of an egg, pinch salt.Beat all ingredients together for 8 mins, then add 1tsp baking soda dissolved in 1tbs boiling water.Pour into loaf pan greased & lined.Bake 180c for approx 30 - 45 mins.Test with a skewer.Enjoy!

winnie231, Nov 19, 8:08am
stormbaby - I would be happy to get you some good hunny (Winnie the Pooh's spelling) at a good price. I have connections :)
I know you're in Chch as fisher told me - I'll see if I still have the email ... otherwise I'll ask him to help us hook up.

stormbaby, Nov 19, 8:25am
Thanks winnie, would love some as I go through quite a bit.I ended up with whooping cough this winter and its cost me a fortune!!! Fisher is awesome.

winnie231, Nov 19, 8:34am
No worries stormbaby - am happy to help.
It will be a couple of weeks as if you follow the circle of friends thread you'll know that my life is a bit hectic (to say the least) at the moment. It will happen though :)

elliehen, Aug 18, 6:07pm
And if that 'hunny' comes from bees in Golden Bay, it will be worth its weight in gold :)